1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

SWR Amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mm73, Jan 4, 2014.

1. mm73

mm73

Does anyone have an idea as to what has happened to SWR? I just checked out their website (http://www.swramps.com/products) and their product line appears to be greatly reduced. They used to have such a diverse product line. I owned one of their amps about 10 years ago... loved it at the time, so I'm just curious as to what may have happened to them.
    Thanks!

2. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

3. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

It appears that Fender has already pulled the plug onboth SWR and Genz Benz. All of those brands could have prospered with the right resources, vision and leadership.

4. Cirk

Cirk

Unfortunately, the intentional lack of those very requirements drove them face-first into the ground. Such a shame to see two great companies get eaten up by FMIC.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Genz Benz had great leadership and vision. SWR, not so much.

7. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

SWR was on its way down the drain well before FMIC bought them (what, a decade ago?). Steve W. Rave had sold the company, left and started Raven Labs, and closed THAT down before FMIC was involved.

8. mm73

mm73

Thanks everyone for your responses... very surprising given the quality of the product. It shows that quality isn't enough in today's world, in musical equipment or any other product.

9. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

On a possible good note I heard that Jeff Genzler was hired on by Fender to overhaul the amp line and he will be the head designer. Would be cool to know if that's true and what he will come up with..

10. Jim C

Jim C

And what ever happened to Steve Rabe?
    IMO, the SM400 was the first small and powerful amp.
    Mine is from about 1984 and has been a workhorse and built with quality components.
    It would have been a much better MI amp if it had a reasonable HP filter and no dip at 200Hz.
    None the less, the company he founded sold a lot of reliable amps that made it to a lot of big stages and helped formulate the scooped, bright funk happy slap tonality.

11. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

This would indeed be fantastic news! Keeping my fingers crossed.

12. Matt_T

Matt_T

I still use the Workingman's 12 I bought new way back in the day. It sounds great and I will hate to have to find a replacement someday.

13. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Fender bought them years ago. They decided to shelf the brand for now. No telling when they will bring them back. If I'm not mistaken, this started in about 2004 or 2005 and Fender has been slowly closing SWR down since then. Same with Genz Benz or is it Gk? I can't remember

14. Franco Bollo

Franco Bollo

Steve Rabe retired some time back, shutting down Raven Labs rather than selling the name. Probably had a bad taste in his mouth after seeing what Fender did to ruin the good name that he had made for SWR.

I haven't owned any Fender-era SWR products, but do have three Rabe-era SWR amps. My one attempt to get some parts from FMIC for one of them was extremely disappointing, si I for one will not lose any sleep over shutting down the brand.

15. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Hmmm... Maybe I should consider hanging on to my chrome 350 I put up for trade in the classifieds. Might double in value by next year! Ha!

16. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

I can tell you I won't give up my chrome Bass 750 for anything. It will be have to be pulled from my cold dead bass

17. klejst

klejst

Usually happens a lot with the corporate market. When company A feels threaten or seeing company B as a competitor the best solution is for company A to buy B and shut down B or drive it into the ground. It's "good business."

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    If that were the case, SWR wouldn't have lasted over 10 years at FMIC.

19. bassrush67

bassrush67

I have 2 SWR Triad cabinets and I love them. They are big and heavy but worth it

20. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Had one of those. Loved it. Shouldn't have sold it!

21. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story Supporting Member

If Genz Benz goes down I'm going to be very upset. Most underrated and best sounding amps out there, IMHO. :rollno: