******* SWR AMPS *******

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Q-Ban-Moe, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Q-Ban-Moe

Q-Ban-Moe Previously Q-Banmoe Gold Supporting Member

Can anyone share any info / experiences with the SWR 750X bass amp?

Pros.... Cons....

I have read that the SWR's pre-fender amps are (or were) better amps than the post-fender ones?

Any truth to that statement?

Thanks in advance!

:)
  2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I've had this head provided as backline on a number of occasions, and played it often at GTG's through the years.

Quite frankly, one of my least favorite heads for the following reasons:

1) Output per pound. It is a large, heavy head, and the output is significantly lower than the published wattage spec would suggest

2) Tonality.... it has that big dose of sub bass coming out of it that results in most speaker cabs straining (i.e., hitting xmax limits) at even moderate volumes.

3) That Aural Enhancer seems always in the circuit, even when dialed all the way down.

Quality build though, and if you don't mind the weight, and get one for a really good price, it surely doesn't suck in an absolute sense.

I never really experienced any sort of pre/post Fender quality issue, so wouldn't worry too much about that.

IMO and IME.
  3. Q-Ban-Moe

Hey there KJung,
    Thanks for the heads up.... I currently have the opportunity to trade my GB Shuttle 9.0 for an SWR 750X.
    I was a bit intrigued by the on board limiter and enhancer that the SWR offers, whereas the GB doesn't have any of those features and in that way eliminate some of the pedals I have on my board...

What's your take on my opportunity here?

Keep the GB or trade it?

Thanks SO much !

:)
  4. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I used to play a 750 (pre Fender) exclusively. I always had trouble EQ'ing myself to where I could cut through a dense mix, no matter how much I fiddled. I eventually gave up and stuck a Sansamp in front of it and it sounded awesome.

Overall I'd describe it as a very clear sounding amp with little coloration. If your bass or technique has any weaknesses, the 750 will only magnify it, IMO. What it did seem to do really well was be very effects friendly. A little compression or OD seemed to bring it to life. I should also note that it sounded its best when paired with SWR cabs...in my case a GoliathIII. The only other cab that sounded better with it was an Epifani UL4x10, IME.

They seem to be suited to styles where the mids tend not to be the star, such as contemporary R&B and Metal.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I personally wouldn't even consider it. The Aural Enhancer is somewhat similar to the Shuttle 9 'scoop filter', and the limiter is pretty basic on the SWR. You would be trading 5 pounds for god knows how many pounds, and IMO lower reliability. It would give you, per the post above, a bit more 'modern scoop' tone... deeper bass, more sizzly highs. That is, especially in most current music styles today, not particularly a good thing.

IMO as always.
  7. Q-Ban-Moe

I totally appreciate the insight... It's rather ironic though because the party that has the SWR is SO insistent on trading for my GB... Which made me ask about the SWR's just now....
    I think I will keep my "5 pounder" and find me a good quiet compressor....

THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS!!!
  8. shawshank72

shawshank72 Supporting Member

Sorry never owned the 750 but i have owned pre fender 4004 workingmans and 8004 workingmans heads.
    The 4004 was a little sterile in the sound but still a good amp.
    The 8004 was an incredible amp, i gigged with this for years until i started playing lighter gear. Played it through a hartke 8x10 and also with an avatar delta 2x12. Amp was just fantastic, sounded great and built like a tank.
  9. LightGroove

LightGroove

KEEP the GB!
  10. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

I owned one briefly, early in my career. Super deep lows, and not much in the upper bass/lower mids always made it feels very cold in a mix. If it's the X version, it will have built-in overdrive, and octave (called SubWave) effects. The octave effect was decent and tracked well. The overdrive was midrangey and not super usable to my ears.

I owned this amp for less than a week before returning it. I would not trade a Shuttle 9.0 for one of these.
  11. LightGroove

LightGroove

This describes my SWR experience. They were the flavor of the month when a few heavy hitters were sponsored by them but dont think the flavor lasted all too long. I think quality wise they are ok but tonewise GB hands down Ive owned both..
  12. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

A number of players modify their SWR gear to get rid of the scoop, the "SWR sound".

I own the SWR Interstellar Overdrive preamp, which has the Aural Enhancer and the SWR sound.
    It stays in mothballs, not for tone, but because it has insufficient output voltage to drive a power amp to full power.
  13. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

I had a buddy who owned one of these when they came out. Somewhere right around the 2 year mark of owning it the power amp had a major blowout. Don't know what he ended up doing with it.
  14. Hapa

Hapa

Disclosures:
    Bass Industry guy, currently a free agent
    Keep your Genz Benz. There is a reason why the guy wants the GB and to get rid of the SWR.
  15. jpeck02

jpeck02

I had a 750x for a few weeks. It is big and heavy. 3 rack spaces. I thought it sounded decent. You can get a nice articulate growling tone if you dial out some of the lower mids. The octave effect was cool with a fretless. I prefer my SWR SM500. Much better tone.

But, I just got a GB Shuttle 6.2 a few weeks ago and the SM500 was sent back to my storage locker last night. Not sure when she will ever come back. :)
  16. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty Supporting Member

KEEP THE GENZ BENZ!!!!!!

I think they are better amps. I love the SWR Goliath cabs but have never been a big fan of their amps when they have shown up in backline.

The Genz on the other hand is more than powerful enough and much lighter. More neutral as well.
  17. Q-Ban-Moe

THANKS FOR THE REINFORCEMENTS GUYS!!!!!!!

Totally appreciate it!!!!

Gonna keep the "BENZ"...;

Might even check out the Shuttle Max in the near future!

:) :) :)
  18. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Supporting Member

I would not do it... KEEP the GB! I had a 750X for a couple of weeks, traded "down" for an older 350+$$ and then sold the 350 a while later and bought a GBE-1200.

Dan K.

19. inri222

inri222

I have owned a 750X for 8 years and it's been good. I run a Sansamp BDDI into it and get a wide variety of sounds. I do not use any of the onboard effects and set the EQ flat except for the mids (I cut the hi-mids). I don't know what people do to it that they say it is not loud. That head is loud as hell, crank the master all the way up and adjust the gain. Anyway I think the GB 9.0 is better and would keep it.