Swr Bass 350 or wait?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Stevenjm, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Stevenjm

Stevenjm

I started a thread the other the day regarding bass cabs but I just picked up a used fender rumble 4x10. I'm just wanting to upgrade my rig.

My local music go round has a red-face SWR "bass 350" that I could afford with just trade ins. Is it worth it at $250, or should I keep saving for something better? (That orange bass terror is super tempting!)

I'm new to bass so I'm not really sure what kind of tone I'm going after. I have a Matt Freeman sig classic vibe bass, and want an amp thats warm with some punch. I might swap out the squier pickup for something warmer as well.

Thanks for any help guys.
  2. kcole4001

kcole4001

I have the chrome face version.
    Good amp, pretty flexible, plenty of power. I run mine through an SWR 4X10.
    For $250 I'd do it no problem.
  3. Stevenjm

Stevenjm

Cool thanks for the input. The reviews seem to be mostly good for these amps. Currently I have an acoustic b200h, and something about it (maybe my pickups) just sounded really thin, even when I turned the bass up and treble down.
  4. chadds

chadds

Try it set flat AE no more than 11:00. Gain til light flashes back off a hair. Master to taste. Now you'll hear your bass. Reduce treble a little on amp. If using an SWR cab, tweeter barely on. Now you can get your warmth.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stevenjm

Stevenjm

Ill try that. Thanks.
  7. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The Bass 350 is a great amp. I used one for years.
  8. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

This.
  9. Stevenjm

Stevenjm

Cool. Well if they still have it there tomorrow maybe I'll have to pick it up. It seems $250 is a good deal on it, where I could at least sell it and make my money back if its not for me. Kind of the luxury of buying used.
  10. Chef

Media:
    Disclosures:
    I used mine with an SWR Henry 8x8 for a long time.
    Totally killin'.

Not the most powerful amp ever, but, enough, mostly.
    And it'll run 2 ohms, so you can pile cabs under it.

Make sure the fan works.
  11. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

The older SWR was boutique gear before boutique gear was. For $250 you should be suffering from Wallet Burn right now.
  12. bozha

bozha

I've play that once with an 4 Ohm 4x10 Nemesis box... Beautiful tone but surprisingly quiet in that combination, especialy in the low end.
  13. Stevenjm

Stevenjm

So they're not the loudest amps though? A little louder than a 200 watt acoustic?

The 200 watts is good for band practices... But I'm hoping for something I can gig with and won't have to worry too much about volume.

Although unlike most musicians I'm usually A-OK with being the quieter guy on stage. :) let me relax in the background and just strum away.
  14. Chef

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Correct, it's not the loudest amp in the world.
    But, it does sound really good.

To get the most out of it, don't use contour, and, don't turn up bass.
    If you want a darker tone, turn down treble.
  15. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

If you are not in need of a micro amp, this is a no-brainer, really!:cool:
  16. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

No comparison in quality to a new Acoustic, either in terms of tone or build quality.

I gigged a redface 350 for several years. Sounded great and was perfectly reliable. Don't get hung up on the comments about not being loud. Plenty loud for bar gigs with a 410 or a pair of 15s.

Do what Chadds and Chef said for settings.
  17. Stevenjm

Stevenjm

After doing some reading I'm really hoping its there in the morning.

I know in the past they've kept things up online that have already sold in the stores.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
  18. bb03

bb03 Supporting Member

As far as loudness goes, those old SWR's had the right kind of volume knob...they continually get louder all the way to "10" (dimed)! This is how it should be, unlike most modern amps that are all done by 12 or 2 o'clock...you think you have more volume left, but you don't.

Some people are scared to play with the volume at 3 or 4 o'clock...don't be. :bassist: That SWR 350 will do it all night long with no issue...it will get HOT, but that's how they're designed.
  19. Chef

Media:
    Disclosures:
    I believe these heads are of the "chassis as heat sink design," and that the fan was added sometime during the run.
    The fan is a good thing, make sure it works.
  20. jungleheat

jungleheat

They're plenty loud. If anything, I have trouble keeping it QUIET enough at band practice to get the gain I want (for a bit of tube breakup and a nice Geddy sort of tone with my Kramer aluminum neck with a single passive P pickup).

Very solid amps, great tone, compact for the amount of power they put out (400+ watts at 2ohms), tube preamp, effects loop, defeatable limiter. $250 is a great deal, especially if it's in good shape.
  21. Stevenjm

Stevenjm

Sweet. Thanks a lot guys ... Its still in stock and they're holding it for me til they close today, but I'm actually off today so I'm gonna get dressed, stop at my practice space to grab my old head to trade, and head over there.

Now I'm just hoping my friend is working. He always hooks me up with trade in value and gives me his employee discount. :)