SWR Black Beauty Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Big Tbone Jones, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Big Tbone Jones

Big Tbone Jones

Hi there from Las Vegas, hasn't anyone tried out an SWR Black Beauty yet? I can't find a review on it. At 400w and 1-15 plus tweeter it should fall nicely into that practice/small/med size club venue I'd think. SWR is pricey but I love the sound. The Redhead is a bit too pricey for me.

If your board and want to hear me play put your headphones on and go to www.bandmix.com do a search on name. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
    Big Tbone

2. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

I have not played a Black Beauty but I owned its cousin, the Basic Black. It was a fabulous sounding combo that still ranks among the best I've ever owned. Unfortunately, it developed some real reliability issues as did my friend's Basic Black - after I convinced him to buy it :(

I've also heard Redhead and other combo models and they all sounded great. Hopefully the reliability issues we encountered were just co-incidental freaks of nature. Might be a good idea to search on Black Beauty repair issues, but I'm sure the sound is terrific.

3. Red Planet

Red Planet

Disclosures:
    OEM Manufacturing Supplier
    Me thinks the working mans stuff is made in China.

The Black Beauty would be in their Profesional line.

I think this amp is a great idea though I wish it had the speaker from the Golight 1x15 in it. That would take 20 pounds off the over all weight of the amp.

I love the SWR Gear. They should be coming out with their new lightweight amps soon. The M2 Preamp is the king of the AMP/SWR/Eden/Gibson/Thunderfunk platform. I have recently gone to the SWR Golight series Cabs and could not be happier.

4. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

I should add that my friend, after he mothballed his Basic Black, liked the SWR sound enough to buy the Workingman's 15. He loved it and used it as his main gigging amp for some time without any issues.

As mentioned, many of their combos are fairly heavy.

5. Register to disable this ad