SWR Black Beauty / Redhead Comparison

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by GonzoBfiddy, Dec 9, 2013.

1. GonzoBfiddy

Apr 21, 2011
    Are there any TB'ers out there with experience playing onstage with both Redhead and Black Beauty combos? I have come accross an opportunity to purchase one of these and have no experience with the Black Beauty model. I have a Super Redhead I purchased in 1997 that is starting to show it's age now and was wondering what insight I could garner here in this forum.
  2. Bufalo

Bufalo Funk in the Trunk Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Harrisburg, PA
    Not sure if this helps or not, but I have experience with similar products. I have an older (black grille) Super Redhead, and I had an SWR 350 head and a Son of Bertha 1x15 cabinet that I occasionally used together at rehearsals - sort of the Black Beauty in component form.

I've always loved the sound I've gotten from the Redhead, but I was never happy playing the SOB by itself. I've played other single-fifteen cabs that I've liked much more than the SWR. It went deep, but wasn't ever of much use by itself in a rock-band setting. I always felt inaudible standing near the amp, though listeners never had an issue hearing anything.

The Beauty may be voiced a little differently (probably not by much), but I felt the Redhead was a more useful combo for playing with others.
  3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    they're more similar than different.
    the speakers are the biggest diff, IIRC.
    the amps spec pretty much the same.
  4. GonzoBfiddy

Apr 21, 2011
    Thanks for the input. I decided to go with a Redhead. Should arrive in the "A" on wednesday!
    Can't wait!
  5. Sponsored by: