SWR Black Beauty / Redhead Comparison

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by GonzoBfiddy, Dec 9, 2013.

1. GonzoBfiddy

GonzoBfiddy

Are there any TB'ers out there with experience playing onstage with both Redhead and Black Beauty combos? I have come accross an opportunity to purchase one of these and have no experience with the Black Beauty model. I have a Super Redhead I purchased in 1997 that is starting to show it's age now and was wondering what insight I could garner here in this forum.
    Thanks.

2. Bufalo

Bufalo Funk in the Trunk Supporting Member

Not sure if this helps or not, but I have experience with similar products. I have an older (black grille) Super Redhead, and I had an SWR 350 head and a Son of Bertha 1x15 cabinet that I occasionally used together at rehearsals - sort of the Black Beauty in component form.

I've always loved the sound I've gotten from the Redhead, but I was never happy playing the SOB by itself. I've played other single-fifteen cabs that I've liked much more than the SWR. It went deep, but wasn't ever of much use by itself in a rock-band setting. I always felt inaudible standing near the amp, though listeners never had an issue hearing anything.

The Beauty may be voiced a little differently (probably not by much), but I felt the Redhead was a more useful combo for playing with others.

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    they're more similar than different.
    the speakers are the biggest diff, IIRC.
    the amps spec pretty much the same.

4. GonzoBfiddy

GonzoBfiddy

Thanks for the input. I decided to go with a Redhead. Should arrive in the "A" on wednesday!
    Can't wait!

5. Register to disable this ad