1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

SWR Goliath II ??'s

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by skb5string, Apr 19, 2010.

1. skb5string

skb5string Supporting Member

Hello!

I just bought a Minty Mid 90's SWR Goliath II 4x10 8ohm. Plugged it in to my New GK 1001 RB-II and played though the rig using my MTD 535. Sounds great but at higher volumes the cab seems to fart out or get a little stressed a bit only when playing lower notes on the B string (D Db C B). All 4 speakers are moving air, it sounds tight but when those lower extension notes are pushed at "Gig" volumes it seems not to like it too much if there is a little bass boost going on from the EQ.

Any thoughts? I do not think the speakers are blown at all. I have the GK 1001 RB-II eq set flat and I have the bass EQ on the MTD boosted about 40%, Mids rolled back about 60% at 1k and highs are flat. Seems when I cut the boost on the bass EQ on the MTD to flat it clears it up a little

I'm just thinking maybe the GK-head is not a good match with the cab. It puts out about 480 watts @ 8ohms. I have a Mint pre fender mid 1990's SM-900 on its way to me and will be here tomorrow. I'm thinking that head will match the cab better even bridged. Also the SM900 has the limiter to help avoid this I believe...

Any thoughts/ opinions are appreciated.

2. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

I have a GII and a GII jr. (2x10). The GII I bought with blown speakers so I had to replace them all.

I did notice that the GII Jr does the same thing you describe, farting out at moderate volumes with not all that much bass boost. The Jr, is rated at a really lame 250watts, so I that could be the issue. I'm running an SVT 2-Pro through both cabs.

The GII is rated at 400-500 watts, I don't remember which is the correct number. However, I've read that the 1001RB seems to be underrated as far as output volume, so it could be that you're sending more power to that cab than you think.

I keep the EQ in my basses relatively flat. I may boost or cut just past the detent of the pots, nothing more; and I'd rather boost the bass on the amp instead. That way I know I'm not overdriving my input, which can start the whole distortion process through the amp. If doing so cleans it up for you, then I'd recommend that...

3. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    The 1001rb II Head Is One hell of a loud powerful head...I use to own the older 1001 540 watt version and the new Mk II made it seam pretty small!!! The 1001rb II is rated at and let me say a Very Very Modest 460watts at 8ohms...that being said is going to give that old Goliath II a good working out...I am running the Goliath III and IV together with my 1001 II head And Yeah i have to watch that i dont add to much bass boost to it other wise them speakers will get jumping and they can handle 1500 watts together!!.... Right now i am running the Jazz/fusion setting on my head which is>>>
    Contour 10 o'colck
    Presence 2 O'clock
    Treble 10-11
    hi-mid 1-2
    low mid 10-11
    Bass 2-3
    I also am running with my 5 string button Pushed in...I get lots of lows out of it and at really high volumes they handle the B string well...if I crank my Bass boost up to much it will start to fart a lil but i never have to cause there is always more then enough as it to knock you off your feet with the low notes!!...It just may be that cab being a bit week for that head...Like i said earlier...they are a very very powerful head for their rating's might want to look in to adding another cab!! Best Of luck hope all works out good for you!! Cheers Mate!!

4. anderbass

anderbass

The PAS drivers in both my Goliath-11 cabs worked really great for a long time but gradually became flabby and developed these same exact symptoms after about a decade of hard gigging.

My SWR dealer told me he's ran across several used G-11's with these same symptoms on the 5 string but that they usually still sound fine with 4 stings.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lowmid1

lowmid1 Supporting Member

I used a G2 4x10 and a 1001rb2 for quite a while. They worked great together so it sounds to me like something is wrong with the speakers in yours. (I used 5 strings as well)

7. gregwatts2008

gregwatts2008 Supporting Member

I run an original SWR Goliath with a GK1001rbII and a MTD 534 and it sounds incredible.
    You may just have a speaker that needs to be reconed, about $60. My Goliath is from about 1990 and I occassionally use my 2001RBII and no issues.

8. skb5string

Well, I tried to adjust the amp settings a bit and backed off the bass eq on the bass and boosted at the amp. Seemed to help. Just got the SM-900 in the mail today. Will fire up tomorrow when I got time. If it keeps doing it I'll look into having it reconed.

9. uglyrumor

uglyrumor

Chances are the suggestion about the amount of power you are sending to the speakers may be too much. Check to see if you got the right ones. I bought a cabinet recently on ebay that was advertised as having an EV speaker, but when I opened it up, found it had an Eminence from a cheap Crate amp. I just wanted the cabinet, anyway, but shows that when you get older stuff, you need to check it out and make sure you got what you thought you got. Before you send power to it!

10. uhdinator

uhdinator

Goliath II spec:
    Frequency Response: -6dB @ 40 Hz and 12KHz

Low E on a 4 string 41hz
    So farting out is because most speakers can't handle much below this and it takes more power the lower the freq is. Even PA sub cabs only go down to about 30Hz at -10db. I don't think speaker technology has caught up with 5 and 6 string basses yet.:crying:

I have QSC PA amps that have a 30hz filter to protect the speakers from damage.

11. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Speaker technology didn't have a problem back in the 1920's with the new buzzwords being field coil and tapped horn rather than neo and porting.
    The only problems being dealt with by any modern loudspeaker research all relates to how to fit it all in a mobile phone or perhaps at the outside, if you want it real, real loud!, the Toyota Gaygo?!
    PS. Adhesives are improved at very high temperatures but pure copper still expands, contracts and melts at exactly the same temperature and air still compresses and expands at very much the same rate as it used to.:meh:
    PPS. If the other Icelandic volcano goes off pop we may all need to travel in one of these again:
    [​IMG]
    Ahh! brilliant the intake system can handle air particles the size of the average diced cormorant with consummate ease + a cabin!, leg-room at last, now there's a real improvement!.

12. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

I have a Goliath II that I use with a DB750 or a peavey dpc 750/avalon U5 and play a sadowsky 5 and have never had the cab fart out. I would check the speakers. These cabs are rock solid

13. skb5string

Ok, so I (Tried) to do a gig last night with the cab and nope, was not happen. The Limiter on the SM-900 did help a little but I had no low end and could not get it loud enough. I had to play like I was walking on egg shells so I did not completely fry the speakers. I took my My SM-900 up to a local music store and plugged into a new SWR Goliath IV 4x10, sounded AWESOME huge Volume and lowend and even bridged I could not get the cab to break up. I plugged into a SWR Golight 4x10, same results awesome.

Ok, so i have this Goliath II cab..Sounds good at low volumes. At loud volumes it breaks up and lower notes or too much low end in the bass freq's make it pop and snap like the friggin speakers were gonna blow up like a nuke bomb.

Again, all 4 speakers are moving in the cab...where do I go from here? Should I have it reconed? Is it worth it..will it ever have the lowend I need even If I do that? What else could it be? Can speakers still be blown even though they are moving...also around the outer edges of the speakers it looks like they are "Wet" is something fried??

Thanks for the continued advise.

14. anderbass

anderbass

Your speakers aren't completely blown, they're just all getting flabby just like both of my Goliath 11 cabs did. You'll need to re-cone all 4 or get another cab.

15. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    I had a 1991 Eden made GII for over 9 years. Great cab. It handled a five string just fine (the 2nd through 5th harmonic matter more than flat response down to the the fundamental). Something is obviously wrong with yours. I found a intermittent loose internal speaker wire did what you describe.

While drivers do get tired, and this cab is nearly 20 years old, I wonder if you have poor replacement drivers or a bad re-cone job. The PAS driver cones have a distinctive wide grey ring between the dust cap and the outer edge surrounds. Got a pic with the grill off? You want something like this:

[​IMG]

16. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician

My great uncle Jim flew these out of San Francisco all over the Pacific for Pan Am in the '30s.