1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

SWR Goliath II

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by TravTrav, Jan 21, 2013.

1. TravTrav

TravTrav

Anything bad to say about these cabs? Thinking about picking one up. Anybody know if they are made of plywood or MDF?

2. chadds

chadds

Plywood!!
    Excellent cab.
    Dial tweeter to barely on for full range.

3. gene beauchamp

gene beauchamp Supporting Member

Plywood from what I remember. Wayyyyy better that G3. Rear port. The G3 blows speakers
    right and left because of port design

4. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

I always found them a bit bass shy the way their tuned. But others would say "Very Articulate!"

The Drivers are excellent though. P.A.S. they are 175 W ea. and weigh more than the G3 drivers. The G3 drivers were also rated for higher power however in a practice sence I thought they both handled the same before hitting excursion limits.

The G II crossover is very basic and was upgraded on the G3's. I still prefer my G II for smooth Jazz style clarity. Great cabs. For a huge upgrade slap some Deltalite 2010's in there!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. The Nameless

The Nameless

Killer, KILler cabs. Plywood, rabbit an dado joint construction. Bass shy? Maybe. But SWR's heads, as many relate an debate here, are ultra responsive down low. The cab designed around the SM-400/500s, an those things go WAY low. So yes, I'd say they prolly tuned to those heads' response curves. I've had nuttin but great tone an reliability from both the IIs and IIIs. I prefer the IIs, for me the lows more controllable, I'm a guy who does cut my head's low end response ta save power. The IIs, in my opinion, have sweeter mids, smoother highs. Can't go wrong. Excellent cabs.

7. murphy

murphy

Only thing I found was on outdoor gigs they project a bit too much highs and not enough lows.

8. Proraptor

Proraptor

I have a goliath senior and it is awesome, no lack of lows at all. If you are experiencing low lows its your amp. My ha5500 on my goliath sr moves the couch lol

9. father of fires

father of fires Supporting Member

10. murphy

murphy

Isn't your cab front ported?
    different beast altogether

11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I can't offer anything about the cabinets, HOWEVER ...... with all the posts from the Toronto area, it's past time we had a GTG in the GTA :hyper:

12. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

LOL! They just had one not long ago.
    Subscribe to this thread and you'll never miss one.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f158/toronto-ont-gtg-804997/

I got turned off when I lost a patchcord and never got it back... I don't want to bring gear to an event and have to keep a close eye on all of it. It was a good time though.

13. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

DANG!! I didn't get the memo!! ::bawl:

Thanks for posting that Bro. I'll try and get to the next one. If it's any consolation, i do believe that cables have legs and tend to wander off. :)

14. TravTrav

TravTrav

I just bought a cheap one from GC Used, and they just called me telling me they're going to have to ship it Fed Ex Freight, haha. Heavy indeed.

15. Mad Tango

Mad Tango

Golliath 2 = one of the best cabinets I have ever owned. Good punch, controlled bass very sweet mids, nice high end. Wished I never got rid of it as well a Bergantino HT115 that I had. Oh well.

16. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Great cab. I typically don't like rear ported cabs but this is the exception. It a very even sounding cab. Worked really well with my db359. It is "somewhat" efficient.

The ONLY reason I got rid of mine is I had too many big cabs.

17. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    It's a solid cab. I've used one a few times and one of my local bassist friends gigs with one often and it sits nicely in the mix (fairly loud rock band). I find SWR cabinets work best with SWR heads but they are good with anything unless you want the type of fat low mids at higher volumes that you can get out of your typical Ampeg/Mesa cab.

18. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    Only 410 cab I like better than the old GII I had is my UL1 Epifani.