SWR Goliath Sr 610...why or why not?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jimmeyer176, Dec 9, 2012.

1. jimmeyer176

jimmeyer176

I'm looking for a single 4ohm bass cab that can compete with 2 Marshall half-stacks, playing punk rock and roll. Will be pushing 500 watts through this puppy and can get a great price....

Any reason NOT to pick up this cab? Other than weight and size?

Thanks

2. mattq

mattq

The looks are kind of "love it or leave it" with that shiny metal grill, but I exclusively used this cab for a few years with no complaints. It should be loud enough with the right head pushing it, but if you're playing punk maybe just spray paint that grill black or something.

3. spaz21387

spaz21387

I love mine its an older one with the salt and pepper looking grill and I play punk rock. Are you planning on using the hartke lh500?

4. chadds

chadds

Yes, I favored the black or the next gen speckled dark grey grills. The next next the chromes just were not perfect for every gig. They said look at me when I didn't want them to. I play roadhouse to Embassy parties to house concerts to outdoor stage events and they weren't subdued enough. A metal shop that does powder coating can take care of that and having it look stock. You can't spray paint that chrome. If the shop is doing a run for some other customer yours will cost very little. Your grill size on the scale of what these shops do is insignificant. :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chadds

chadds

The size is excellent because its a roll and tip, lift slide thing. Made to be a very loud cab. High quality. For a balanced tone keep that horn control just barely on. Enjoy!

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

They're one of the better 610s out there, IMO - I used one at a rehearsal space for over a year while gigging a PH610, and didn't mind playing thru the SWR at all...

- georgestrings

8. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    I would love to find one of these local.

9. Itzayana

Itzayana

I don't own one but I have used one and I will say that they are great.
    If I were younger and stronger I would likely get one.

10. armybass

armybass Roscoe Bass Gold Supporting Member

I have a Goliath Sr and it's twin the Henry The 8X8 and I love them both. Very loud and powerful cabs and you can be heard on any stage (within reason:eyebrow:).

11. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Great cab if you are in E. If you need 5 string range get the Mego.

12. Strohsx

Strohsx

No complaints about the one I had.

You shouldn't spend more than 600$ on one.
    But for the 7 or so years I used mine it served me well.
    Used to shake pictures off the wall with an Ampeg B4R hooked up to it. :D

13. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

I disagree - the Goliath Sr I played thru handled my low B just fine... No argument that the Megoliath will take and dish out more than the Goliath Sr, but IME there isn't a B string issue with either...

- georgestrings

14. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

15. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

great cab - i'm looking to trade mine (but will sell it also). If I wasn't downsizing I would certainly keep this cab. It's easily the best I've ever owned.

1200 watts worth of loud!

Oh and I've played a 5 string thru it and the low B was wonderful.

16. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

FWIW, when I used a Goliath Sr, it was in my current band - loud rock/modern rock/metal, with a pair of Triple Rec halfstacks - with a 700rb-II pushing it... it was just fine...

- georgestrings

17. astack

astack Supporting Member

Had one, loved it. With the SM500 it would make the ears bleed (figuratively AFAIK). Just downsized as it was too loud and big. When needed, I could lug it up or down stairs on my own, but easier with two people for sure. I'm a fan of the 6x10 config for the very favorable output to schlepage ratio.

Used it as a PA sub for a few dorm parties in college. That was AWESOME. :hyper:

18. gregwatts2008

gregwatts2008 Supporting Member

I had two of these but I recently downsized to just one! Personally, I say get the cab and get a more powerful amp. 500w is OK but I never leave the house without at least 700w.

19. OldFenderPlayer

OldFenderPlayer

I played through an SWR Goliath Sr for several years and was always happy with it. I only sold it because I'm doing gigs that require a lot less firepower and it was not being used.

Here is a link to a review I wrote on the cabinet several years ago. I had owned and played through it regularly for over a year before posting the review.

http://www.bgra.net/2004/review.php?id=404&type=cabinet

20. BoomBoomOGTL

BoomBoomOGTL Supporting Member

The older salt and pepper grilled SWR cabs came equipped with PAS drivers. The later chrome grille cabs changed driver manuf. to Eminence (or was it Celestion??). They do sound different and I prefer the PAS equipped models.

I drive mine w/a 350W Trace head and it sounds fantastic. Low B isn't a problem at all.

It doesn't sound nearly as good being driven by my Boogie Bass 400. That amp is just too much low end for that cab.