SWR Grand Prix?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Brendan, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Howdy do...I got an offer of a SWR Grand Prix, one of the green faced ones, for my WT-300, straight up trade...I dunno, I'm thinkin I might pass, but, before I just say no, what's the consensus and/or your opinions on this unit? Thanks

2. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

well... never used it but I'd just like to say that (IMO) it is more desirable than your WT-300 for a pre (I don't care for the eden tone, and you've got a bit of wasted weight in the power section)

That's all

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

your WT300 is still worth more, the GP is probably worth around 300 bucks.

offer him some cash and see if he bites - they're SMOKIN preamps.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Well, define smokin'?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BigBohn

BigBohn

smokin' - as in awesome, very good, pimp azz shiz.

Okay, the SWR is good, but definetely like Warwick5S pointed otu, they are worth less than your Eden pre. Very good dub reggae tone if thats what you're lookin for. If you had that AND your Eden, you'd be unstoppable.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Hmn...well, what about big, fat and clear? I dunno, I'm looking for something a little less warm than the Eden, something clearer, y'know?

Actually, for me, the ultimate tone is the one Dustin Williams has. You don't know him, but www.hotboxed.com can get you aquanted with his sound. Damn it's sweet! Course, he uses an SVT head on top a Rig of Doom that puts mine to shame. Uses an SWR 6x10 (that's the Goliath SR, right?) and a Big Ben (1x18) through a Fender bass with a pick. Damned if it's not the spankiest thing out there....and live, it hurts

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

the grand prix is pretty much the same preamp as every other swr amp - just with a few parametric bands and some other studio features.

it's VERY clear as well - like every other SWR amp. it won't have that warm glow like your eden stuff does, but the notes will be more defined. and it can put out as much booty as you'd want.

and honestly - almost any amp would have some serious grunt on top of those speakers. the goliath sr is one of the loudest bass cabs in the world, and the big ben is one of the punchiest 18" cabs in the world. (i WILL have a goliath sr...it will happen)

9. Brendan

Brendan

Maybe the WT-300 for the Grand Prix and some bills, hu? I mean, sure, I love that kinda grunty sound, but 1000watts into two D-410XLTs seems like it would give me all the grunt I could handle, right?

Man...I'm just gonna think out loud here for a minute:

I dunno, that 6x10+1x18 seems damned skippy to me. And my DCM1000 could handle a 2.64 ohm load, right? (Or 4 and 8 ohms...) Man, I gotta quit thinking about stuff like this...Just seems that some of my favorite tones come from SWR+Warwick rigs...'cept for a few guys anyway. But I'd have to see the XLTs handle something besides and Eden Head...maybe a new Pre-would make them perk up and get snappy?

10. Brendan

Brendan

y'know Jason, you almost steered me into an SWR earlier...tell me this: how's the GP stack up against the IOD?

11. BigBohn

BigBohn

Yes, the SWR is much "flatter" sounding then the Eden, which is colored to the way that it was designed to sound. SWR has parametric EQ, which is another plus and it's just so clean sounding. I like the SWR pre sound, but I don't dig their Goliath III. I totally prefer the Eden d410xlt, which you have 2 of, so problem averted.

Brotha, get the SWR pre and your 2 Eden 410xlts, and BA-BOOOOM!!!!!! Ear drums will be exploding right and left!!!

:D

12. Brendan

Brendan

Hmn...so, it sounds like the SWR might be spanky indeed. Maybe we should get Dave Siff to wade in on this. He used a SWR SM-900 over a XLT...so I could get something from him.

So what would be fair? The WT-300 plus some $$, and I get the GP (plus the $$ :D)?

13. BigBohn

BigBohn

I'm not Jason, but consider both of my word and his word when I have a little experience with both pre's too, yet I KNOW he will have lots of more time behind the wheel with SWR equipment.

The GP, which is the first pre put out by SWR, has tube, and a para EQ, which is something every bass player shouldnt be without. It was designed to be for jazz, low-key type of musicians in that kind of music setting. No whipping out the GP and go hitting the stadium playing heavy rock or metal. It's just not there.

But then the SWR team got to thinking that alot of their customers are playing more rock than jazz/dub stuff, so they designed the IOD. This baby is just the best of both worlds because of its 12AX7 tubes, infamous for dishing out the sweet distortion and clean crystal clear lows, alike. Downside, is that there is no para EQ, only a preset low-mid-treble EQ, but that is easily corrected by using a separate para EQ in conjunction with the pre. Then you've reached preamp nirvana.

I'm starting to think the IOD would be better suited for you, but if the money is right, then go with this GP you got going.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Well...that's the thing, I DO metal and hard rock! :eek:

Maybe I should hold off then?

15. BigBohn

BigBohn

Maybe you should. Just keep what I said in mind, but I think you would be better off waiting a bit for other people with LOTS of more experience say their piece. It'll make you feel better about whatever decision you make.

Anyways, rock on!

:D

16. Brendan

Brendan

That's an intriguing idea...IOD, then a dedicated EQ before the poweramp. Killer sound, TONS of flexibility...

oh, what was that? Oh, just my GAS!

Wait, where does one find a dedicated EQ?

17. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

Why take an old GP when you can get an IOD?

The IOD does everything the GP does, and a whole lot more. Mine is a real keeper.

18. Brendan

Brendan

This is the SECOND time I've been sold on an IOD! But Bohn's Idea kinda struck me...bust out a EQ under the IOD, and it'd be Uber flexible and verstile (course, the IOD would com first)

I think I'll hold out for and IOD then...

19. BigBohn

BigBohn

There ya go, Brendan. Instead of wasting alittle bit of money for a POS u'll hate, just save alittle more, if you don't already have it, and get the nice IOD. It'll be where you wanted your preamp at, and you won't feel like a dick 3 months from now because you'll know you made the right decision.

20. Brendan

Brendan

Probably so!
    Now I just gotta find someone willin to trade...money's a bit tight, y'know? And I'd rather trade and KNOW I'm getting one that sell the WT and maybe not have enough to get an IOD...OTOH, I could sell the WT, and get a use IOD, and mabye have some left over...

either way I think the IOD is once again on my horizon...

21. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

yeah - the IOD can get every tone the grand prix can get, because they're the same circuit - save the parametric EQ on the grand prix and the EL84 power stage in the IOD. i think the IOD has a warmer sound - not warm in the eden way, but almost fatter, yet still definied.

there's an SWR Mr. Tone Control for sale on ebay right now. 9 parametric EQ bands. that + an IOD would own everyones arse.

i wouldn't say the GP is a POS tho - it's reliable as all heck, QUIET (one thing it does alot better than the IOD due to lack of power tubes - though i wouldn't say the IOD is noisy, just that the GP is SUPERQUIET), has some features the IOD should have (such as a pregain knob. imagine that? :confused: )

i think swr could easily make the IOD better now that they've discontinued the GP. add the pregain knob from the GP, (could put it where the passive input is and have a switch for a pad, or put it where the DI pad knob is and have a switched pad for that in the back) and make the mid control parametric.