1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

SWR Headlite? Amplite?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Calaverasgrande, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Calaverasgrande

Calaverasgrande

When it comes to flyweight amps I keep hearing the same three brands over and over. GK, Genz, and Aguilar.
    Why no chatter about SWR? It seems theirs were some of hte first to market. Are they just awful?
  2. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Well, for starters, the SWR sound is pretty out of vogue around these parts. That, and it doesn't seem to offer much bang for buck in comparison to the competition.
  3. Calaverasgrande

Calaverasgrande

I'm actually not much of an SWR guy at all. I used to think they were the best amps money could buy. Then I tried playing through one and hated it. Figured out I liked the "cheap" GK sound better!
  4. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

I love both. They each have their place. I prefer the GK to SWR for more dense rock situations, whereas I prefer SWR for most other things.
    But these days, there are plenty of other options such as MarkBass(which sits between the two, if you ask me) and Genz Benz...for starters.
  5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Still can't figure their price point for an amp that costs more than the competition and that puts out 100w less than the competition! I'd love to try one out but unless they even up the odds, I won't consider buying one. I'm sure they are nice amps though.
  6. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

It's like they weren't even half paying attention to what's happening out in bassland.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I talk to backline guys all the time, and they say they still rent out a lot of SWR rigs. But it does seem like Fender's lost interest in it as far as promotion.
  8. Hapa

Hapa

Disclosures:
    Bass Industry guy, currently a free agent
    No, they were not paying much attention.

Im here now, things are gonna change. I am a bass player (Berklee Grad), I am a bass luthier (Nordstrand), and I have been on and off and on the TB forms since I was in college.
  9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Now that's what I'm talking about! Looking forward to seeing any positive changes! Lower prices would really be great!
  10. wvbass

wvbass

First order of business: discontinue the headlite.

Second order of business: the baby blue was the best bass combo ever made, bar none. Then somebody move it to a different speaker combination. Turn this into your new micro line. Sell a baby blue/electric blue micro head at a couple different wattages, and a few different baby blue cabinets. Rat fur is a little out of vogue, so maybe go with navy blue tolex.

Please? Get me a five hundred watt (or 800 watt) baby blue that can drive a 4x8+5 cab or two, and my epifani, markbass, and tc stuff will start gathering dust. I'm ready to place the order today.

Edit: the aural enhancer bypass on the headlite is a nice feature. Put that in your new baby blue heads.
  11. GZ2

GZ2

Hapa... I hope you can make some good changes. I've got some swr stuff
    (4x10 goliath, 4x10 golight, 2x10 goliath Jr., 6X10, Triad, son of bertha, sm900, amplite,marcus miller preamp)
    and it's kool, but I end up going back to my Genz Benz shuttle 6.0 and Dr. Bass 2x12.

I also have 2 american deluxe jazz V and a Marcus Miller Jazz V and a really old 4 string Jazz, so I'm definitely a fender guy. Any insight or hope you can share on the products would be great.

BTW, I used my Genz Benz to drive the amplite and didn't particularly liked how it sounded with a DR Bass 2x10 cab. That may have been the Cab more than the amp. I never tried it with the SWR 2x10. I was looking for a 4ohm 2 x10 neo cab. Those don't seem to be to common.
  12. Hapa

Hapa

Disclosures:
    Bass Industry guy, currently a free agent
    I will have to read the CUP again but I am almost positive that I can't just blab about new product. Nor would I due to the competition reading this as well.
    @ WV bass Headlite gone - no way, but plenty of room for improvement. The Baby blue was great but the best? a 2x8 at 160watts, you must be an upright guy. I agree that ratfur is whack.
  13. wvbass

wvbass

I didnt say loudest, I said best. Pure tone. There's some really great products in SWR's past, the 220, 400, super redhead. i'm not sure you respect your history enough, you must be a young guy. :)

Truth be told, I'm thinking about another headlite, even though i know it isn't loud enough for every situation. And that's kinda sad, given that I'm not a "volume" guy.
  14. wvbass

wvbass

Are there any new SWR heads on the near horizon?
  15. GZ2

GZ2

WV... A couple years ago I had heard that SWR was potentially gonna do an amp that incorporated the Marcus preamp. I never heard anything else about it. I was waiting for it.

Anybody ever use the big sm1500?
  16. B String

B String Supporting Member

I'm not sure you're giving this guy the respect he's due. Maybe he has his job because he's qualified. Perhaps you could be a little more open to change.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Good luck with SWR and GB, Hopa.
  18. mindwell

mindwell Supporting Member

+1. I've owned the Baby Blue II combo and the Electric Blue head--for electric. Still own the head, and have toyed with the idea of getting a true 500 watt class D power supply retrofitted into it. Love the voicing of the EQ, the effects loop/bypass, the DI--all of it. Best platform ever, IMO. Loved its sound for electric. Gigged it for years in a 6U rack; big pain to mount. If you could get it down to 1U for racking purposes and give it a true 500 watts at 4 ohms like Markbass et al, I'd seriously consider it.

I think the Baby Blue/Electric Blue is a legacy product that could have a bright future ahead of it.
  19. blindrabbit

blindrabbit

When I needed to get a micro head (and cabinet) last year to replace the Redhead I'd had for some 20 or so years, I looked first to SWR and the Headlite. I was genuinely sad that it was expensive as it was in relation to other micro heads, especially ones with more power. This led me to playing the other micros, and I discovered that they sounded pretty darn good, so I ended up buying one (GB Shuttle 6.0). Basically repeat that story over again with cabinets (ended up with a Traynor TC112), and now I'm no longer an SWR guy. :(

I guess my point, or one of them, is that if the SWR amps had been even competitive price-wise (and to a less degree power-wise) then I may not have ended up trying other anything else, and my love affair with SWR would have continued. So take that Headlite and drop the price $200...for that matter, go across the board and drop all your prices. It was really cost that drove me away from SWR. In 1991, SWR seemed to me like it was the best stuff around, and the price premium made sense. In 2011, the competition is, in my opinion, just too tight to justify the current prices.

On another note, the Baby Blue was/is awesome. Count me in as another who would love to see new permutations of it on the market.
  20. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

+2 on the Baby Blue permutations