1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

SWR Henry 8x8 Appreciation Thread!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, Aug 31, 2007.

1. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Love it! :hyper:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Celestion loaded, pre Fender!
  2. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have one just a little newer, with the newer grill
    Greeat cabs
  3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

They're one of the very few things I still GAS for. One of the great cabs of the world IMO.
  4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Count me in! I need to replace one of the Celestion 8's, and the tweeter as well, but even in its hobbled state, my Henry still kicks booty! :cool:

Tom.
  5. failuresXbass

failuresXbass

i loooooove mine. not much for selling gear, but this one goes to the grave with me.
  6. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

I've never had a chance to play thru one of these cabs. I have heard and seen countless bass players use them and they sound fantastic. How do these cabs handle the low B ?
  7. Chef

Disclosures:
    Very, very well.
    It's only rated for 475 watts IIRC...it'll take substantially more than that when applied judiciously.
    I run my wt800b, bridging 1200 watts into it regularly, BUT, I don't crank it all the way up, and jack the bass up, ya follow?
    This cab's one real weka point is the teensy, fragile, rather brittle sounding LeSon tweeter.
    I'd be surprised if anyone ever bought a used Henry with a fully functional tweet.
    I dunno why SWR hasn't addressed this by putting a decent compression horn, or 5" mid driver, or something-anything in there.
    Fortunately, replacement LeSons are dirt flippin cheap. Take a blown tweeter as a $14 lesson, and keep it turned down next time. It doesnt' sound that great anyway...but a little high end sheen is nice.

So far, for me, the 8's have been dead reliable.

Still waiting for someone to stuff one of these with LDS long throw 8's...that would make it a 1200 watt killer. I did this to both my Baby Blue II (to preserve the stock drivers), and to my Silverado 4x8 (which had 2 dead drivers) and it worked awesome!
  8. Alek

Alek

That looks like an awesome cab.

Damn, If only I could afford it.

Probably sounds great with Ska.
  9. hansahol

hansahol

I have 3.

Hans Åge Holmen
  10. Chef

Disclosures:
    God Gawd y'all!
    I can feel that from here.
  11. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Very well. I demolish cabs with my Quantum 5's B strings, and this thing works like a champ.

Mine was only $500 too, which made smile. A LOT! :D
  12. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

You guys are killing me. :bassist:
  13. bandl

bandl

I've played through one of these for years. Sounded consistently awesome no matter what room we were playing in. My buddy had another one he wasn't using, so I had to buy that one too.
  14. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Yeah I'm in ... for me an 8x8 is "THE" SWR cab.

:eyebrow: ... Don't use it like I once did since I got those little cabs as my singer calls them.
  15. tbone409

tbone409

it does a local ska band The Hired Geeks uses one, sounds killer:bassist:
  16. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

I see them a couple times year in the local classifieds for around $400.00 US. I am always tempted to buy one.
  17. origami

origami

i got me one... makes the 77 p and the maiden p sing! thanks hank!!!

i needed a cab for those non-PA supported shows that should have a PA (we've all played them). the henrry 8x8 was the answer. for church/cover gigs it handles the B string fine of my stringray 5. for my indie rock stuff, i can use my distortion and octave effects, no problem. my gk 1001rbII can dish it out, and the hank takes it.

cons- yes the tweeter is weak, and it can be a bit daunting to lift alone. i always make my singer help lift in and out of my suv because they never carry anything :) it is a bit scooped vs. my ampeg cabs.

the henry 8x8 is the best medium-big cab out there. the only thing i've played i dig almost as much is the gk rbh 410, and the ampeg pr410hlf.

i have thought of switching to 2x neo212 cabs instead, but i can't give up the henry just yet.
  18. hansahol

hansahol

Has anyone tried to buy new grills for their Henry? I would like to replace the old grills on mine for the new Chrome grills,but the scandinavian distributor wont sell me 2 new ones.

Hans Å
  19. double-muff

double-muff

Just got mine LOVE IT!

so count me in i guess...
  20. mike_v_s

mike_v_s

On the subject, have any of you used the Henry Jr.? It doesn't seem to be the same animal (rear vs front porting). Is it really half the man the Henry is?

Mike