1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

SWR Henry junior (4x8") two speakers died

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by michiel soenen, Jan 24, 2013.

1. michiel soenen

michiel soenen

Hi all,

Nearly 10 years ago I bought this cab and had a lot of fine rehearsals and gigs with it. When the band stopped, it remained in a moldy rehearsal room for too long. The two bottom speakers made an awful noise and I took them out.

I'm looking to get this cab resurrected. I just don't know how yet.

1) what is the impedance now I took out half the speakers? 16 ohm or still 8 ohm?
    2) obviously playing these 2 drivers in a cabinet that is too big and has 2 extra holes in it will not be ideal. Can I just reduce the volume by half and make the port half surface and it should be ideal or doesn't it work like this?

OR...

Can I find 4 8" speakers for a reasonable price that will sound decent in this cab?

I've got a GK MB212 on the way, if I remade this 4*8 it would probably match better than 2*8 though the latter would also be very welcome to play on at home. And who knows, it might be good with the 2*12 as well.
    I dunno I'm pretty much a cabinet noob still after all those years. I've been pondering for nearly a week which cabinet I was going to get, looked at all <300€ ones mostly the ashdown and peavey 210 and 115, kustom 410, gk 212. I finally decided to get the peavey 210 with the thought of maybe adding a 115 or another 210 later when I saw it was rated at 4 ohms.:meh:
    I am happy I got the 212 in the end it seems like a fine cab for the money, low weight may prove very handy and it may be all I ever need in rehearsal and small gigs, bigger would me miked anyway... But now I'm already gassing to get this x*8 back up and running and planning to make myself a 115, 118 or 215 cabinet in the near future :rollno:
  2. spaz21387

spaz21387

I have an swr goliath sr that had 2 bad speakers in it I replaced them with eminence basslites they sound great in the cab. I wanted to get swr pas speakers but they were too hard to find.
  3. michiel soenen

michiel soenen

Hm I've been preferring to get it back to its original 4*8 state but at the same time I don't have any money to spend on this now nor in the near future.
    Would I be able to get a nice sound with 4 different drivers in this cab, by just adjusting the port size?

Simulations in WinISD have shown that the Eminence Alpha - 8" Speaker 125 W 8 Ohm can do some nice things. Almost goes down to 40hz at -3db in a well tuned box. Getting four of them will almost cost as much as the box costed me secondhand though... I guess fixing it will be an option to consider when I want an extra cabinet.
    In the meanwhile, can I play it with the extra volume and port holes without damaging the speakers that remain?
  4. jungleheat

jungleheat

You should either get all 4 original speakers reconed (or at least the 2 bad ones), or replace all 4 speakers with 4 new ones of the same kind, and sell the 2 remaining good speakers, as well as the 2 bad ones (so someone else can recone them if they want).

But you shouldn't use the cab at all until you get it fixed properly. There are a variety of reasons it's bad to run it with 2 speakers either not working, or just not even there.
  5. michiel soenen

michiel soenen

Damn I didn't know getting the speakers fixed was an option, they're long gone now...

I believe you about it being bad for the speakers, did some simulations in WinISD and too big a volume means a big bump around the tuning frequency, and vents need to be the correct length or the cabinet isn't tuned correctly. I guess those 2 factors can place a lot of stress on the speakers if played, though maybe only bad if you're playing loud?

I'll see if I can find some second hand original SWR speakers.
  6. michiel soenen

michiel soenen

Well it looks like the originals are hard to find and not quite cheap.
    So I guess i've got two options
    1) cut the cab in half and adjust the port, so I can have the original sound... This cab would have a 16 ohm rating, probably only useful for at home.
    2) sell the 2 speakers and buy 4 new ones hoping it will sound good. If I take the measurements of the Henry junior from the swr site I guess the box is around 105l. Those Eminence Alpha 8" 2 of them do very well in a 105l box, getting 45hz at -3db, 4 of them only 58hz at -3db. Maybe I should look for any size speaker that does best in a 105l box. Is there a faster way to do this other than entering all the parameters and simulating a cabinet for every speaker?
  7. vin*tone

vin*tone Supporting Member

Talk to don at LDS. I have a pair of 8's in my swr baby blue and they're awesome. The Henry jr is a classic cab. Don't cut it up.

A recone would be a good option too.
  8. plankspanker13

plankspanker13

9. Jaruquin

Jaruquin

I didn't think anyone else use these cabs but me. I love it!

Attached Files: