SWR Horn replacement

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BassTerd, Sep 29, 2004.

1. BassTerd

BassTerd

Does anyone know were I can get a replacement foster horn for a SWR Golliath III?

2. Eldermike

Eldermike

Are you sure the fuse is not blown? It's in the crossover. Also the L pad can burn open so make sure it's the driver. I have blown the fuse (they once used a light bulb, it might still be so) and even burned up an L pad but the driver is still kicking.

As far as buying a replacement I would take the driver out and call any speaker repair shop with the make and numbers. I buy some repair parts from speakercity.com. I am also lucky to live very close to a speaker repair shop.

3. BassTerd

BassTerd

How will I know if the L pad is burned open? I have yet to take the thing apart

4. Eldermike

Eldermike

First, check the fuse, then if you have an ohm meter the attenuator (L Pad) can be checked but you need to know what you are looking at. There are two variable resistors built into an L pad, one is wired across the driver and one is wired through the positive lead feeding the driver, all this built into a single control . When you turn the knob you change both resistance values which changes the "cut" measured in db, of that driver. It's not a boost, it's only a cut, hense attenuation. Checking it requires unwiring it and then knowing the values, of course "open" is not a value, that would be the problem. My suggestion, based on your questions is to let someone at a speaker repair shop look at it.

The fuse in on the board behind the input panel (4 screws). The fuse looks like a dome light bulb for a car, it might be just that) The fuse should have protected the circuit and the driver unless you had a huge inrush current from clipping your amp, it's most likely a fuse. But, if you don't know what you are looking for I would take it to a speaker repair shop.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Chad Michael

Chad Michael

7. Chad Michael

Chad Michael

The protection fuse, or 'bulb' if you will, is NAPA part number 211-2 (stock no. BP211-2) which goes for under $2 as I recall.

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Media:
    my 5 bucks says its the fuse

9. BassTerd

BassTerd

how would I know if the tweeter diaphram is bad.

10. Ian Perge

Ian Perge

In about nine months you'll end up with a Goliath III Jr. 2x10". ;)

11. Chad Michael

Chad Michael

Some possible ways to test:
    1) If you replace the fuse and it still doesn't work,

- or -

2) You test the diaphragm with an ohm/ multimeter and it reads infinite resistance

- or -

3) Use an automotive test light in series with the diaphragm and a 9v battery, and the automotive tester doesn't light up.

12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

:D

13. IvanMike

Media:
    That's the funniest damned post i've read in a year

14. BassTerd

BassTerd

Would it actually mess up the 10' drivers.

15. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Back in 2001 I called SWR Sound and Ordered
    a new Foster Horn to install in my Goliath Jr. III for $22.
    It arrived within a week.

Fender?
    I dunno.

Fender/SWR Customer "Service" (480) 596-9690

16. BassTerd

BassTerd

Tried that, they said they didnt carry it and told me to call some speaker repair shops around town.

17. IvanMike

Media:
    i hate to say i told ya so, but..................
    i told ya so
    "We here at fender are commited to maintaining and improving upon the quality of our new SWR line. In the spirit of that commitment we're using cheaper components and no longer offering customer service."

18. lowmid1

lowmid1 Supporting Member

Try e-mailing Bryan Beller. http://www.bryanbeller.com If you do need a replacement part and they are telling you that they don't carry it, Bryan can probably point you in the right direction. He is definitely one of the good guys!

19. BassTerd

BassTerd

Here's an update. I got a chance to check out the cab in question. The fuse was fine. I didn't hear anything comming out of the horn, not even a hiss. So just to check things out I took the horn out of my HT Berggie (heavy little sucker) and stuck it in the swr cab just on a hunch. My horn worked fine so I guess the swr horn was blown. I was able to locate one from the dude that makes the avatar cabs. He already new which one was needed.
    Now i just have to sit and wait.