1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

SWR LA 12" combo amp review.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sorefingers, Mar 19, 2008.

1. sorefingers

sorefingers

well im new to playing bass. so far i know most of the scales and can play songs, slap, chords and all that good stuff. So hello talk bass people, lol. but anyways i wanted to say, DO NOT BUY SWR AMPS! or well at least the LA series, i have one and it sucks. if you turn it up past the 3\4 mark it buzzes like CRAZY. but yah, so drop some comments if you have one, and what you think about it. also i went to my first jam today and played like 3 hours of bluegrass with my mom's banjo, best friend od drums, and himmom on piano. it was the best. :hyper: whoo.
  2. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

I have one and it's my practice amp. Works fine for home practice and jamming with a guitarist or two. I don't think it's meant to be used as anything else. Not many amps will sound good if you turn the volume up 3/4 of the way :eek: For a jam with a drummer, you'd want an amp with a bigger speaker or a lot more watts.
  3. sorefingers

sorefingers

yah when i started playing with my drummer friend i was like "wow he plays louder than i thought" lol.
  4. Kennethfaria

Kennethfaria

well to be noticeably louder youll need somethign with double the watts. or you can double the speaker area( by adding another 12)

Yeah i heard the La series ain't that great But WorkingPros are solid. Well time to sleep.
  5. projectMalamute

projectMalamute

them are junk.

workingpro's are marginally better.

recent pro stuff is alright, but you can do better for the same money.

original stuff is actually pretty good but getting more scarce. still fairly cheap though.

I've found post SWR Engineering but pre Fender stuff to be a mixed bag.

nothing SWR ever made is particularly loud for the wattage.
  6. Bassest

Bassest

I have a LA-8, 30 watts, 8" speaker. works fine for duo/trio work. The LA-8 is not made anymore and was replaced by the LA-10.
  7. el murdoque

el murdoque

I have had a LA-12 for a couple of years now and still love it.
    I use it for the small gigs without drumset and for playing at home.
    It's loud enough and i find it super neutral sounding, no colouring at all. I like it especially for practice, because it really shows sloppy playing. I realize often that licks that sound killer on my big rig with the drums hammering and an OD pedal engaged sound seriously lacking on that small thing due to bad finger technique. When i practice so it sounds good on that amp, it sounds better on the big one.

...and my cheap basses sound cheap, no matter what i EQ, while my boutique stuff sounds great.
  8. chadds

chadds

To expect sonic bliss from something that inexpensive is asking a lot.
    The LA series were entry level, novice, practice, & small gig amps.

Now.
    I put a great Celestion 8" in the LA-8. Doesn't buzz at all.
    I plug into the aux in bypassing the pre. Then it can sound quite neutral.
    I played a funeral reception with a '57P ri into the pre. Mostly Dylan and '60s folk.
    Sounded just like a P in appropriate music.

My feeling is you need a louder amp.
    My warning is, any amp will act crazy if you thrash away, over eq. and disregard your quality of touch.
  9. grenadilla

grenadilla

I have the LA 15 and it is good only for learning songs at home. It has an 'aural exciter' on all the time and that makes the mids jump out louder. The back panel is the only cooling and the amp will overheat and shut down. Mine makes a nasty loud sound when swiched on that resembles a microphone being dropped onto the floor. I am sorry I bought it but it is still working .
  10. chadds

chadds

Avoiding the value of the great pre Fender SWR Pro gear because the admittedly inexpensive entry level is limited is unwise.
    See, some of us remember when SWR was boutique with tiny ads in the back of music mags.

Heck, I remember when Mesa Boogie was boutique. When the three volume control Boogie was introduced I was so intrigued I called Randy. This was when they would sit in the Cali sun and solder them in the nude. I said hey I love the concept of the Boogie what you got for bass? Randy said we're working on it. Then came the 400.

Back on topic. The SWR Pro gear is a real value and many pieces can be had in pristine condition.
  11. FourBanger

FourBanger

Lets keep going, i am sure there is more we can add to a nearly six year old review.