1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

SWR question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by nitrofix, Dec 13, 2013.

1. nitrofix

nitrofix Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    Hey guys, just picked up another Goliath III cab and it's the one with 1/4" and Banana plugs on the back. I have a few options here. One is to use 1/4" from the amp to 1/4" to the cab, use speakon or 1/4" from amp to Banana on the cab. I could also change the Banana plug on the cab to Speakon, If I did this how hard is it to do, any soldering ? If I end up changing the banana plug on the cab do I use 2 pole or 4 pole connector. I'm using a GK 1001RB-II , not worried about using the Bi Amp feature of the GK...
    One more question, if I end up having to use both cabs could I use 1/4" from amp to one cab and Speakon from amp to Speakon on my other cab ?? What do you the best thing for me to do....Thanks Guys

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

I would replace the binding posts (banana jacks) with a 4 pole speakon http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nl4mp-st-speakon-connector-4-pole-panel-mount--092-053 no soldering, just a screwdriver. Wire the Plus (white/red) to the 1+ and dark wire (black?) to the 1-.
    As far as from the amp to the cabs, there is no difference which way you go. I really prefer the speakons.

If you later want to use the Biamp run the horn wires direct to the 2+ and 2- on the speakon and disconnect the crossover in the cab.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. nitrofix

nitrofix Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    Thanks B, I was hoping you would reply. I think thats what I'll do, just gotta figure how to mount the speakon connector to the cab. I guess I would have to cut a hole in the back plate to mount...Thanks again

5. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member