1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

SWR question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by nitrofix, Dec 13, 2013.

1. nitrofix

nitrofix Supporting Member

Hey guys, just picked up another Goliath III cab and it's the one with 1/4" and Banana plugs on the back. I have a few options here. One is to use 1/4" from the amp to 1/4" to the cab, use speakon or 1/4" from amp to Banana on the cab. I could also change the Banana plug on the cab to Speakon, If I did this how hard is it to do, any soldering ? If I end up changing the banana plug on the cab do I use 2 pole or 4 pole connector. I'm using a GK 1001RB-II , not worried about using the Bi Amp feature of the GK...
    One more question, if I end up having to use both cabs could I use 1/4" from amp to one cab and Speakon from amp to Speakon on my other cab ?? What do you the best thing for me to do....Thanks Guys

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

I would replace the binding posts (banana jacks) with a 4 pole speakon http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nl4mp-st-speakon-connector-4-pole-panel-mount--092-053 no soldering, just a screwdriver. Wire the Plus (white/red) to the 1+ and dark wire (black?) to the 1-.
    As far as from the amp to the cabs, there is no difference which way you go. I really prefer the speakons.

If you later want to use the Biamp run the horn wires direct to the 2+ and 2- on the speakon and disconnect the crossover in the cab.

3. nitrofix

nitrofix Supporting Member

Thanks B, I was hoping you would reply. I think thats what I'll do, just gotta figure how to mount the speakon connector to the cab. I guess I would have to cut a hole in the back plate to mount...Thanks again

4. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad