SWR replacement speakers

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by blackreverend, Mar 20, 2006.

1. blackreverend

blackreverend

Hey All,
    I'm currently looking to repalce the speakers in my SWR goliath jr
    (2x10) with lighter neo speakers; how would you reccomend I go about this so i have a cab that i can run either alone or as a top to a 15' cab with a head of at least 4-500 watts? A place to purchase said speakers and perhaps a new back panel (crossover?)
    would be appreciated.

Blackreverend
  2. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass Supporting Member

What impedance are we talking about?
    If you want 8 ohm cabs then two speakers rated 16 ohms wired in parallel (preferred) or two 4 ohm speakers wired in series to give 8 ohms. Using two 8 ohm cabs would make 4 ohms total impedance.
  3. BassIan

BassIan

As has been discussed many times before (do a search), you cannot just buy speakers and put them in a cabinet expecting it to work well. The cabinet must be designed for the speakers, and each speaker is different! Check out bgavin's spreadsheet of driver information, download WinISD, and see what you can come up with for neo drivers that will work with your cabinet.
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

IIRC Goliaths are tuned in the low 30s (Hz). If WinISD suggests that the woofer will perform OK in that volume with a low 30s tuning, it'll work. As good as a specially designed cabinet, perhaps not...you might like the sound better...who knows.

Why replace the crossover? SWR runs the woofers full range so unless you're changing the tweeter too, there's no reason to change the crossover. The SWR crossover is a 18 dB/octave High Pass filter...no woofer section at all.

Any particular reason (other than to save a few lbs) that you want to replace the speakers?

If you want something different (and the Goliath Jr. works fine), you might be better off selling it as-is and buying a new cabinet that's all ready to go.
  5. R Upsomegrub

R Upsomegrub

I owned an SWR Gol. 2 jr. for awhile that someone had put Bag End speakers in. It sounded great, but only if you were putting 600 watts or so through it. It wasn't any lighter, however.
  6. blackreverend

blackreverend

ok, here are some of the reasons I have for doing this-

1- Weight (my back cant really handle this anymore)
    2- I dont know what the impedance is (id like to make it 8 ohms)
    3- I have no idea who bgavin is, where to get his spreadsheet,
    and what winisd is.
    4- The crossover is old and beat up, and if I'm going to replace
    the speaker, I might as well replace that too before it goes.
    (I wouldnt mind buying a replacement from SWR)
  7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice

Disclosures:
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Don't even think about replacing your drivers until you can answer these questions.
    bgavin is a guru here, and with over 3,000 posts to his name you won't have to search far to find one. Google WinISD.
  8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

WinISD is an online loudspeaker enclosure modeling program...

http://www.linearteam.dk/

BGavin has compiled a excel spreadsheet of loudspeaker enclosure designs. Find it at http://www.ofgb.org (short for old fart's garage band).

The circuit board on SWR's crossovers is spaced away from the mounting plate a good distance, so it's probably been safe. I bought a rather nice one on eBay...so keep an eye out there. The guy I bought it from said that he replaced his with a III series crossover with Speakons. It's been a few years so I don't remember what he paid for the new one but it was three or four times what I paid for a barely used one.