1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

SWR SM400s routing question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by CosmoReverb, Dec 14, 2013.

1. CosmoReverb

CosmoReverb

I was wondering if the more technical/electronically savvy minded folks might be able to answer a question for me?

I have a good ol' SWR SM400s that I run bridged into an Eden 4x10. Lately I've been wanting to experiment with more effects but they've been killing my low-end. So, I'm wondering if, when I am running in bridged mode, are both of the stereo effects returns still active? The desired result that I am hoping for is that I can use the internal crossover to send the highs out to my effects but keep the lows pure and clean and then use both of the stereo effects returns to then blend the two signals into the final bridged output. (I hope this makes sense)

I know that I can just experiment with the setup but I'm afraid that there might be some potential for damage if I just start patching stuff up like that and the amp isn't wired to work the way that I hope it will so I wanted to run it by some more knowledgeable folks first.

Thanks in advance!
  2. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

I don't think that will work. You can try it without blowing up the amp and see but I believe when you use the stereo inputs on the effects return it directly feeds each amp separately. When in bridged mode you need identical signals going to each amp. What you're proposing to do will have an effected high signal on the one amp and the clean lows on another... It just won't work because the bridge switch takes the mono input signal present on the back effect return and inverts it to the second power amp so both power amps share the output terminals to generate one bridged output.

You could use the bi-amp in the SWR and then an outboard mixer and blend the channels back together prior to returning the signal to the mono effects return. Raven labs made some cool little mixers for stuff like that or see if Berinhger has something small for super cheap.
  3. CosmoReverb

CosmoReverb

Thanks man. That makes sense and pretty much what I figured.

Yeah, I was already looking at some little mixers from ART and Rolls to try and use as a blender so that might be the way I'll go but I'm not sure about the audio quality of those units. (especially the ones that are cheap enough that I would be willing to shell out the cash for an "experiment")

Thanks again!
  4. wmheilma

wmheilma

What about using the amp in stereo with another cab? so you run the effects on only one cab.
  5. CosmoReverb

CosmoReverb

Well that is how it is primarily designed to be used and I actually originally bought it to be used as a biamped rig but I found it to be a little anemic sounding when run in stereo compared to its bridged mode.

Thanks for the thought though!
  6. wmheilma

wmheilma

Leave it bridged and pick up another power section :) you could run a light class D amp and a sub off the crossover lowout. Them run the 4x10 full range. OR look for effects that don't eat bottom end.