SX BASS what are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dfinnegan71, Jan 16, 2013.

1. dfinnegan71

dfinnegan71

In a previous post about giging with only 1 bass (which, I am doing currently) it occurred to me that this could be a bad idea. So in my local shop is a used SX PJ for $115.00 bucks. I am looking for some feedback from you guys who have these and play these. It would be my backup at gigs, should I ever need it. How do you like yours?
  2. dougjwray

dougjwray

There are many, many threads on TalkBass about this. Search by using the term "Essex" because "SX" won't retrieve anything (it has only two letters).
    But...
    My own answer would be that if you play this bass and like it, you should buy it! I have three SX basses right now, and they are all perfectly fine Fender-like instruments made of good pieces of wood, with functional hardware and electronics. Actually, the pickups sound *seriously* good, to me.
    I'm glad that you have a chance to play this one first, because they can vary in quality.
    One thing: you might be able to talk the store down in price. I often see used SX basses with an asking price below $100. (But this one might have been upgraded-- with different pickups, for example.)
    Good luck!
  3. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

A used SX PJ for $115? You can get a brand new one direct from Rondo for only about 5 bucks more(which includes a gig bag and instructional CD). The only advantage there would be you would be able to try the one in the store. Either way, an SX bass is worth considering. I really liked the Ursa-1 P-bass I had. Felt really comfortable to play and I really liked the sound, it had a definite authentic vintage P-bass tone.
  4. dabbler

dabbler Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. johnson79

johnson79

I really like my SX. It's no Fender American Standard, but it plays and sounds great. Price seems high. Post a few pics.
  7. nickirado

nickirado

hahahaha Might also tell what is your favorite colour huh?
  8. Immigrant

Immigrant

Someone who has been a TB member for that many years and doesn't know about the TB SX love cults and the obsessed members of said cult (see above).

Impossible. This is a sarcastic thread, huh? Good one!:p
  9. dabbler

Kinda, but not really. LPB is my favorite of the SX solid colors, but I actually prefer to see the grain ( like on the Ursa 2 hum in the thread in the link in my post).
  10. RickBlair

RickBlair

The shop probably offered $50 or less to whoever traded it in. if you offer them $75 they would probably be happy to sell it.

Not demeaning SX (I own a Jazz) but if you are in the NorthEast you can buy a new one for almost that price with minimal shipping charges.

Rick B.
  11. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

As others have said; it's not thaaaaat great of a deal.

But... for $115 I doubt you'd be dissapointed!

I had a nice (old headstock) P/J. Wonderful bass... I only sold it to cut down on space. I DO still have an SX guitar and my lovely SX short scale Jaguar, which I gig with as much as my MiJ Fender P!
  12. dfinnegan71

dfinnegan71

Immigrant, I was totally serious! :) for real, i would never even have looked at it but I did see some positive praise about it here on TB so I thought I would search out some validation. Thanks ya'll!
  13. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

Well...I just bought the purple SX Jazz and the neck developed a pretty nice twist. Playable, but not cool.
  14. dabbler

One question. What did Kurt say/do when you told him?
  15. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Did you mod any of them?
  16. dabbler

Right now they all are modded except for the 5 string with the P body. All of the rest are shielded. All of the Js have series/parallel mod, the Js with maple fretboards have alnico V pups at the neck position, the Js have hipshot string guides, the fretless 4 string P has a series/parallel mod and I changed the knobs on most of them.

Oh yeah, and they all have Dunlop straplok buttons.
  17. rtslinger

rtslinger

I have one P body and it sounds great I gig with it often as one of my round wound strung basses. I bring two to a show Fender P has flats everything else(the other 7) have round wounds
  18. tink9975

tink9975 Supporting Member

I have an extensively modded SX PJ, and its a great bass. Even before the mods it played and sounded better that I expected for $120. It should serve you well as a backup.
  19. phillybass101

phillybass101 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    I own one an older 75 JB copy ash body and a killer JB sound and have purchased a fretless neck for it (future project). Mine is a keeper even if I don't play it every day. It's one of the two JB's I'll have in my arsenal forever.
  20. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

I haven't said anything...should I? I bought the purple Jazz by mistake (I thought it was a short scale) and another short scale P/J Bass package for my daughter (she's just learning). The short scale is doing fine, which is the more important of the 2. Instead of returning the purp J, I decided to just keep it and mod the heck out of it....no biggie. But, I didn't expect the neck to twist so soon.
  21. dabbler

OK, but in the future, if you buy anything from Rondo and have an issue, contact Kurt, seriously. Their customer service is VERY good! TBH, I've never contacted them with a twisted neck issue, but EVERY issue I have contacted them (only about 3) about got handled.