SX/Essex Jazz Bass pickups & neck questions

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tocs100, Sep 7, 2013.

1. tocs100

tocs100 Utah Bass of Doom, Metal DJ @ leafpileradio.com Supporting Member

Just got my first Jazz (err, SX/Essex copy--sounds good though) and I'm mystified by what's holding in the pickups? Not the four height screws...so are they glued to the body, and if I replace them will I have to permanently glue in the new pickups?
    (EDIT: Ok, neck pup out but is not as wide as the bridge pup and won't fit in another basses bridge slot without routing. Shame because these pickups sound great.)

Also, the middle two strings are unplayable below the 4th fret wire, and after much research I looked closely and can see the strings aren't getting any clearance there. I don't think tapping with a hammer will help though, as the outer strings are ok--I think the fret is just not leveled enough in the middle. And frets are something I don't know how to fix.
    (EDIT: Neck shim and action-crank fixed the buzzing frets.)
  2. Mickey Mao

Mickey Mao

The four height screws hold the pickups down and in place. There is springy foam beneath the pickups, that pushes them up against the screws.

Regardiing the string height, you should start with a setup, including adjusting the string clearances as required on the middle strings. There are stickies in this section on the process.