1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

sx pbass upgrade need some help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by funky duck, Dec 4, 2013.

1. funky duck

funky duck

Hello ..i have a received a SX Pbass from a friend guitarist who doesnt use it anymore it s the one with the old headstock.white with black pickguard.it s a bit heavy and i feel the neck not too comfy ...but it s a present so... i was thinking of putting some flats on it and a pair of fender vintage 62 i had lying around .That s the sound i like and i have in my main bass: a fender with 62 pups and flats...im planning to use the sx as a back up bass...all suggestions welcome.The overall state of the bass is OK.and i dont want to invest a lot of money in it.thanku u ..
  2. Warhawk

Warhawk Supporting Member

If everything works as it should change the strings and pickups to suit you and leave it at that.
  3. TreeTheStudly

TreeTheStudly

I actually bought a bass from Rondo Music about 1.5 years ago. It has not held up too well to modding.

The wood seems to just disintegrate every time a screw is turned. The control plate screws (it's a 50's style p-bass) spin freely - Not even the ol' toothpick trick worked! I also had to route-and-plug the strap button spots with dowel rods.

I just wanted to share that.
    I think that the standard mods would work for your bass - upgraded pots/wiring (SX uses mini's, I think), non-plastic nut, beefier bridge, sturdier tuners, etc.
  4. KingRazor

KingRazor

I upgraded the strings, pickups, pots, jack, wiring, bridge and nut on my SX. I don't regret it one bit.

I also shielded the pickup and control cavities with copper foil, added threaded inserts into the neck, and applied some steel wool to the back of the neck to smooth it out a bit. The result is a bass I'm pretty happy with. The only thing left to do is fix the alignment of the neck, although that's just nit-picking on my part.