SX Ursa 2 6 string alert

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowfreq33, Sep 11, 2012.

1. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    As of 12:00 AM central standard time Rondo has ten Ursa 2 6'ers in stock in candy apple red.

That is all.

2. Mr L

Mr L

If only Paypal didn't take 6-8 days to transfer funds from my bank...

3. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    They're going fast, it was 15 yesterday...

4. dabbler

dabbler Supporting Member

If folks knew like I know they'd be gone already!

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ArvindJayaram

ArvindJayaram

Haven't heard of these basses. What's the tone like - snappy, warm, dark, bright? Would love to know!

- Arvind Jayaram

7. BootzillaSun

BootzillaSun

Mine is sitting 200miles away:eek: in a UPS truck:scowl: waiting to come to PAPA:hyper::hyper: .I hope its here by the time i get home work:hyper:

8. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Really wanting another P, but this does something for me. Hmm.

9. bassbenj

bassbenj

Sound pretty much the same as the 5 string SX jazz clones.

Note he added an Audere preamp to his bass in the last video.

Now you know why I own three! I have a ton of modern 6 string basses of all levels, but I was interested in the Fender Jazz passive thing expanded to six strings. SX lets you play with that for little money. Note the alternative is to buy a Steve Bailey Fender at almost three grand each.

10. Earache

Earache

I pretty much blew off ever getting a six string. But at this price ...no brainer. Padded gig bag is included fyi. Seven left.

11. BootzillaSun

BootzillaSun

Yeah and mine is atleast probably on the NYS thruway headed my way. I will have it by tomorrow ,Wish i could have ordered 2:bag: i am so tempted to take tomorrow off:meh:,yet another good thing about selfemployment :hyper:

12. BootzillaSun

BootzillaSun

Well its on the truck heading to my (i took the day off) House.!!!!!!!

13. Doc Ellis

Doc Ellis

Mine is scheduled for Thursday delivery... they are now down to 6 in stock.

14. bassbenj

bassbenj

I see they are down to 5 now!

Here's a factoid you may not know that I learned in ripping the neck apart to convert my SX-6 (also an URSA 5) to an Ebony blank plank fretless fingerboard.

The truss rod on SX basses aren't "truss rods" at all! Which is to say they aren't threaded rods that you tighten up. They are these rectangular "rods" made of a few thinner "laminations" of metal stacked together to make a more or less square cross section "rod".

The "rod" pulls on nothing! When you tighten the screw in one end it makes the "rod" warp to give it a nice bend. If you turn the screw the opposite direction the rod bends backwards in the opposite way. (hence they term it "double acting") There are two of these in the 6er so to adjust the neck you start with both screws loose and then turn them both the same way to bend the neck backward to counteract the string tension. (clockwise looking from headstock down neck bends neck back against string tension). It's a pretty cool system, really!

My fretless conversion is getting close to done. I'm in the varnish and wait stages now. Given that up to now I've only had one fretless 6er (Alembic Epic) I'm hoping this new SX puts me in Hog heaven!

15. sonic assassin

sonic assassin

glad i got one the first time around. they seem to be in short supply now

16. sonic assassin

sonic assassin

its pretty much a standard J bass sound. pickups are a little low on output. very tame. considering swapping out the neck pickup on mine (since i dont use the bridge pickup anyway) to something hotter.

with a change of strings and a little setup its a really nice bass. incredibly light for a 6 string. hell.. light for a bass period.

17. dabbler

You wouldn't happen to have a PC of what you're describing handy would you?

18. bassbenj

bassbenj

You mean picture? No I don't. I really thought about taking pictures of the whole operation from stripping the fretboard off to finished bass, but then I got lazy. I was using a Youtube video on how to remove your fretboard with a steam iron anyway, so I figured the "how to" was sort of already out there.

But once I had it apart, I was surprised to see how that truss "rod" worked. Unfortunately it is glued back together now.

19. dabbler

Yes, I meant pic, thanks for understanding my cell phone scribble. I'm still having a bit of trouble getting an image in my mind of what you describe. So how different was the setup from this: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_r...Hot_Rod_Truss_Rods/4mm_Allen_Nut_Hot_Rod.html ?

20. skidrawk

skidrawk Supporting Member

I just ordered mine.

and then there was one*

21. Doc Ellis

Doc Ellis

...and they're gone.