SX Ursa 2 Natural Ash 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gary m, Feb 3, 2014.

1. gary m

gary m

2. bassbenj

bassbenj

Oh my! Oh my! I want one of those SO BAD! And given I own THREE of the alder models (All burst, flats, rounds, fretless, tort guards...say no more!) I just can't find a way to justify it!
  3. dabbler

dabbler Supporting Member

Looking forward to your review and pics. I'm anxiously awaiting Kurt to get the ash 6 in sunburst.
  4. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gary m

gary m

Well, doggone you UPS.

The bass arrived Friday, in pieces. Hope to have a replacement shipped this week.
  7. chuck norriss

Pieces? yikes.
  8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

That sucks how did they wrap it?
  9. gary m

gary m

It wasn't double boxed, and the carton had been obviously and poorly repaired by UPS using their document envelopes all along one side. It appears that a sharp object pierced the carton and tore through both it and the contents lengthwise like a can opener. There was also evidence of something bigger and heavier having fallen on it in transit.

I've ordered several instruments from Rondo in the past and all have arrived safely, so I'm not blaming them...this one is on UPS. Kurt very graciously arranged prepaid return of the damaged bass, and will be shipping me a replacement shortly.
  10. gary m

gary m

Okay, it's here. So begins the review.

Overall, I'm pleased with the fit and finish, and especially the quality of the wood ("American Swamp Ash" says the flag sticker on the pickguard).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's also some nice flaming on the neck:

[​IMG]

And, the dual truss rods claim to be "two way":

[​IMG]

Overall, I'm impressed with the total package:

[​IMG]

Okay, now the list of cons: it's heavy. VERY heavy. The digital bathroom scale reads twelve pounds and change which is pretty substantial...but this is a solid piece of wood, after all. I'll deal with it.

The pickups are a bit on the quiet side output wise...not the loudest pair of passives I've seen. Yet, tonally, they're quite good...more than adequate, in fact. It's entirely possible that part of this can be blamed on the stock strings, which are (as we've come to expect with SX) nothing too special. This is a known, and I'll be installing GHS Precision Flats within the week. I'll revisit the tone/output question after that.

Not only is this a nice bass out of the box, it's an excellent platform for upgrades. The stock bridge is enough for the job, as are the tuners. The build is solid, though the C string seems closer inland on the neck than the low B (neck shift?), the nut is a tad sloppy and the painted on neck "binding" could've benefited from someone with a steadier hand.. These are small gripes, and for $199 probably aren't unexpected.

Bottom line: not half bad. There are worse instruments out there, but where can you get this kind of wood at this price point? I'm not going to sweat the small stuff -- I'm just going to play it. :bassist:
  11. dabbler

dabbler Supporting Member

Congrats! I love my sunburst Ursa 2 6, but I really would love one with blocks and binding. Unfortunately, Kurt couldn't tell me if the Ash ones will ever come in sunburst, and that's my only other requirement. Seeing yours is making it hard for me to keep hoping that they will.
  12. PersonalTraynor

PersonalTraynor

Disclosures:
    peaveyTraynor freakazoid...
    Wow! just...wow. I'm getting one and due to Kurts policy of making us canucks buy a hardcase with each bass, mine should show up in one glorious albiet heavy piece! lol
  13. gary m

gary m

Let's hope so! I'm also looking at adding bar magnets to the bottom of each pickup to increase output (thanks to bassbenj for the idea). Would like to see yours in pics when it arrives.
  14. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Been waiting on your pics. Think I am going to pull the trigger soon!!!
  15. gary m

gary m

Going shopping for magnets tonight...strings arriving tomorrow, so I can do both at once and be done.
  16. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

That bass is beautiful! Congrats! :)
  17. bassbenj

bassbenj

Agree. I love the look of natural Ash.

But the weight is in the range of my heaviest basses which are my ESP LTD B206 (spalted maple over ash) and my ash Conklin 7 string (both at 12 pounds and change). My Alder SX 6ers run from 10 to 10 and a half pounds. So the Ash definitely makes it heavier.
  18. Mr. Majestic

Mr. Majestic Mr. Majestic Swamp Ash Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    I love ash, too!
  19. gary m

gary m

An update...I put GHS flats on and added ceramic magnets underneath the pickups. Dramatic change in tone and output. The only alterations needed were removal of the foam from underneath the neck pickup to allow it to sit further down in the cavity for proper string clearance. Cheap, easy upgrade! Thanks to bassbenj for the info.
  20. chuck norriss

what size magnets? Covering the entire bottom of the pickup? I can't tell if mine had an impact--likely too small. I'll try again w larger
  21. gary m

gary m

Yes...I bought rectangular magnets at a hardware store and strung them the full length of the pickup.