SX Ursa 6-string Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figbassist75, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Figbassist75

Figbassist75

Has anyone seen the new SX Ursa 6-string Jazz bass that Rondo has put up on their website? I took notice of the new bass when browsing their website.

I have had great experiences with Rondo and my first 6'er was a Douglas WOB 826 that I love to use in the bands I play in. Sounds great for the price. The only thing with the Ursas that have kept me at bay is their headstock but on this one, it kind of fits the six string bass. I can live with the head stock if it's a good bass for the money.

I would appreciate any input my fellow members of TalkBass.com can give me. Thanks.
  2. blendermassacre

blendermassacre

I really REALLY want one of those...
  3. Ben Coffin

Ben Coffin

I actually really like the look of that. Generally I'm against the idea of a Jazz 6 string, but the headstock design really flows well with the 6 and doesn't make me as disappointed as on the 4 stringers. I'd try it.
  4. blendermassacre

blendermassacre

if they have one in a couple months when birthday time rolls around, it's coming home with me.
  5. lostrings

lostrings Supporting Member

I like the bass...I am not crazy about that headstock, but it doe's seem to fit the bass. What I really don't like is the 1/2" string spacing.
  6. blendermassacre

blendermassacre

yeah. It's not that great. Also, I'm thinking that you couldn't put a wider spaced bridge either.
  7. Figbassist75

Figbassist75

I really like it too, just have never touched a six string jazz before. I can't speak for the Brice models but that Douglas WOB 826 is a really good bass for the $189 price you will pay for it. On mine, I just swapped out the stock strings with a set of Ernie Balls and it was good to go.

I might pull the trigger on this one and give it the same treatment with a new set of strings. Before I do though, has anyone had any kind of experience with a six string Jazz? Please let me know.
  8. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

Eric likey.
  9. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I'd prefer active electronics for a 6, and I'd prefer a dark fretboard with the sunburst finish, but at $150 I'd gladly upgrade the preamp and learn to live with the maple. I may get one of these, I've been keeping an eye out for a cheap 6er to take to sketchy gigs so I can leave the Tobias at home.
  10. blendermassacre

blendermassacre

I'm the complete opposite when it comes to pre amps. I'm a purely passive guy, and passive 6s are hard to come by.

Good news is that if it sucks, send it back.
  11. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I like passive on a 4 string, but I like the extra headroom you get from actives on a low b.
  12. Figbassist75

Figbassist75

If you like active 6'er preamps, the Douglas WOB 826 is active and it's hard to beat it at the price Rondo asks for it.

Just emailed Kurt with a couple of questions about the bass. I'll let you guys know what his reply is. For now, I'm holding off on it until I hear from him.
  13. blendermassacre

blendermassacre

What did you ask?
  14. Ugly Fingertips

Ugly Fingertips

Great... my wallet is out of my back pocket again... don't remember taking it out either.
  15. 3506string

3506string

The only thing that would keep me from ordering this is 12.7mm string spacing at the bridge. That is more narrow than any bass i've ever played. My kz6 is at 18mm. Everything else is just right. The maple fretboard, the body style, the overall apperance. Might be cool for tenor tuning though.
  16. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Cool! Added to my vast wishlist.
  17. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

18. dabbler

dabbler

^ This.

I have 2 sixers, and even though I really don't need the sixth string (my main players are 5ers) the idea of a passive sixer is making me drool.

You are tempting me blender!
  19. tplyons

tplyons

20. bassbenj

bassbenj

Me want too! I'd prefer an ash body and I need another 6er like a hole in the head (not to mention I'm currently playing 5s with my 6s in the cases) but I've got GAS so bad for this! Especially since all my other "bar bass" SXs are 5ers. And adding to the pressure is the fact that it seems that SX brings out something really cool and then after a while they are all gone and you have to wait for the next container to arrive! And even when it does sometimes the headstock has changed or something nasty like that...