1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

SX Ursa 6 string : playability?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Inconnu, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Inconnu

Inconnu

How would you compare the playability of the SX Ursa 6 string next to other 6 string basses under 1 grand, example Ibanez SR series, Peavey grind, etc.?

2. bassbenj

bassbenj

In this price range the SX 6 is highly unique. It is large, heavy, Fender-clone-ish, passive, fat necked and single coiled. In short, it's basically an extension of your classic passive Fender jazz to 6 strings, or even more exactly, your SX 5 string Fender jazz clone to 6 string.

I bought mine because that sort of thing was EXACTLY what I wanted to play with. Note well, that to do this experiment with what is available out there would be to buy something like the Fender Steve Bailey or a Low End sixer, both of which are in the several grand range.

I have no experience with a Peavey Grind but I don't think they are that different from the standard low cost 6er fare. Basically, active, soapbars, and modern sound.

I do happen to own two (SR206 and SR506) Ibanez 6ers. They are NOTHING like the SX 6. They are light weight. They have soapbars that give you a VERY FAT modern tone and have thin fast necks that are a dream for people who hate fat necks. They are modern classics the way Fenders are a standard for "old school". Generally speaking Ibbys are the "modern" standard that the rest get judged by.

Such as my ESP LTD 6er. Again it's a "modern" bass with soapbars, spalted top that looks like a million. It weighs a ton, but has one of the nicest playing necks around. It's a super 6er in a modern bass that only cost about $400 new. But it's not an SX. It has NO Fenderish feel to it at all. It feels (and sounds) much more like my Bass Mods 7 string (and looks like it too which is why I bought it).

Point is most low cost 6ers are of this modern style, only usually not as nice as the Ibbys or ESP basses. The SX on the other hand is the passive Jazz thing extended to 6 strings and quite frankly I love it. And I especially love what it cost me to get in on this action compared to the boutique versions.

3. Inconnu

Inconnu

So it really feels like a 6 string J, not like a modern 6er dressed like a classic bass, if you follow me...

Interesting... I'll think about it.

4. Laklandlover

Laklandlover Supporting Member

I have an SX Ursa 6 string and the playability is very comfortable. The spacing is narrow but fine for me the frets were dressed nicely too. And yes it was priced to sell. I like it more than my Ibanez as far as tone they are intentionally different but I LOVE the Jazz tone.

James

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Laklandlover

Laklandlover Supporting Member

Yes (to me).

James