SX "White"paint match

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by mrbell321, Nov 20, 2012.

1. mrbell321

mrbell321

So, I did a search and I couldn't find anything relevant. Not sure if this is the right forum, but nothing else seemed encompassing. On to the question!

Is there off-the-shelf paint that matches the SX not-quite white?

I've got a white SX short scale J bass and I'd like the headstock to match the body. I don't really want to refin the whole thing. I've never done a refin, and I don't even know what kind of paint would work well on a headstock. They're not right next to each other(the neck is in the way!), so a tiny difference could be acceptable.

Thanks,
    Tyler

2. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Reranch Arctic White might do the trick.

3. mrbell321

mrbell321

Hmm... thanks... I guess no one has actually matched it?

4. Warhawk

Warhawk

The SX color is more of a vintage white as it's a bit yellowish. Olympic White actually has a slight blue tint to it when new. Sorry, don't know where to get a good match for the SX white.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Max Bogosity

Max Bogosity Supporting Member

Not sure they're all the same colour anyway. Mine has a distinct green tinge.

7. mrbell321

mrbell321

Well that's just a bummer to hear. Maybe, I'll put that project off until I want to refin the whole thing. Dammit.

8. hover

hover

Disassemble, take the body to a auto-paint place, have them color-match you a quart..some places might be able to do it like they do at Home Depot, and without the PPG code. Pricey, but if you want it to match...OR, by the same thinking, go to an autoparts store and look at the touchup paint, and try and match there, then you have a PPG code to have a place mix it for you.

9. Warhawk

Warhawk

10. whodom

whodom

An alternative to getting custom-mixed paint would be to go to an auto body shop or paint shop that has color chip books. These books have hundreds of actual paint chips from different colors and identify what make and model of car used the color. Then you may be able to find a spray can of touch-up paint at an auto parts store for that color. That'll only cost you ~$10 or so instead of ~$50 for a quart of custom-mixed paint.