sXe Straight Edge Bassists Club(unless there is one already?)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by LTDVIPER333, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LTDVIPER333

LTDVIPER333

Hi Guys
    Don't know if I'm strictly speaking a true Straight-Edge Punk as Ive only been
    to a Punk concert once, and listen to Minor Threat and the Sex Pistols occasionally.
    I listen hard out to Nirvana, and Cobain,Grohl and Novasalic considered themselves Punk,
    so Grunge is an offshoot of the wider Punk movement
    (which therefore means Im hardcore on some level or another!).

But saying that I fanatically follow the strictly Straight Edge doctrine of no Drugs, Alcohol and Cigarettes,
    and wear the black X on my hand rather often. These customs form the core ideology of
    the whole Straight Edge subculture.

Was just starting this thread out of interest to see how many of my fellow bassists share my
    teetotaler/Punk beliefs, draw black Xs on their hands at Rock/Punk concerts and therefore consider themselves Straight Edge?

Can do the whole club number thing, as well, if everybody's into that?

:ninja: :bassist: :bassist: :help:

2. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

can i be number X?

3. rhapbus

rhapbus

Im totally straight edge, i play metal and i go to concerts all the time. I refuse Drugs alcohol and cigarettes.

4. sonic assassin

sonic assassin

im in. ill take number 30.

been edge since i was about 15.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bearshimmy

bearshimmy

I drink, can I be sxe too? =D

7. LTDVIPER333

LTDVIPER333

Sweet
    Great to get so many reply's this quickly.Ok whoeva wanted number X your welcome to be club member: 10 lols Somebody has allready baggsed XXX or 30 which is awesome Sonic Assassin! .Sorry to be really Straight Edge you must reject all narcotics even socially excepted ones such as tobacco and alcohol, all though Ian Mackay of Minor Threat would hate me for saying this.
    :bassist:
    :bassist:
    :ninja:

8. Surly

Surly

I am straight edge. I know other edgers too. Makes me happy because I'm usually asked "why don't you drink"?

9. Mikio

Mikio

yeah, I used to play metal and be like that.... now I play rock and!!!!!!....... well, I'm still all clean :bag:

10. theunknowndude

theunknowndude

I never understood the point of putting an x on the back of your hand,...

is it as superiority thing?

id be half edged then,
    I don't drink if im driving (which I always do on a night out) but I enjoy the occasional beer ... only ever get drunk on my birthday though *shrug*

11. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

12. nightcityburn

nightcityburn

I'm in. Play in a band with a member of Casey Jones, good times.

13. insomniac2295

insomniac2295

exactly what i was thinking.

14. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

false, the xXx stands for
    no drinking
    no drugs
    no promiscuous sex

straight edge also has alot to do with the importance of friends and family. and IMO it has alot to do with listening to the music.

just because you abstain from self desctructive behavior does not mean you are straight edge.

i was straight edge for 5 years before breaking edge. long story and if anyone cares to hear it, PM me.

that being said, it is nice to meet people who have choosen this clean lifestyle.. im sure many have experienced what it is like to be looked down on because you dont drink or do drugs.. you can become an outcast over this.. its a positive movement.. and i support it even if i myself am no longer edge.

i'm sure it wont be long until some troll pops in here to say this drug or that drink wont hurt anyone and is fine.. just remember that is your choice and straight edge is someone elses choice.

and btw Veganism has nothing to do with sXe so kindly step away from mah cheezeburgar

15. nightcityburn

nightcityburn

This is no different than the Atheist Bass Players club, or the christian praise and worship club. Its something people identify with, and therefore no one should come in here and express disapproval because you don't agree with what it is.

16. Surly

Surly

hahaha pass the bacon

17. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

I'm in. Extra points for those of us over 21 :D

18. LTDVIPER333

LTDVIPER333

For those of you who would like clarification the black X on the back of your hand originally stems from the marking placed on the hands of underage members of Punk concerts to prevent them buying alcohol. The symbol was adopted to suit the groups anti-alcohol anti drug stance. Pritty cool symbology really.

I don't feel its elitist at all, just shows that your proud to be in the minority of us who ignore the widely socially excepted practices of using substances to have a good time, or cover up for the bad.

Yea there is definitely that bit about promiscuous sex which is another thing I do not engage in. Cheers D Rokk for adding that part in. Allthough Straight Edge is not anti-sex which is a common misconception, just its abuse. I also aggree with the part about the importance of friends and family, and non-nihilistic Punking.

I'm 18 and have never seen the point in drug, cigarette and alcohol usage. Discovered Straight-Edge as a disillusioned 15-year-old.

At the same time Ive been forced to moderate my beliefs in regard to my mates, family and other people as most of them smoke pot and drink. No disrespect to any one who chooses this path, and I don't want this to turn into some sort of battle ground, just a club for like-minded people.

Yea just for the music side of things it would be cool of club members wouldn't mind checking out Minor Threat to get a bit more of an idea, the songs Straight-Edge and Out of Step pretty much summerise the ideas behind the group. Basslines are rather bad though sorry!!
    :bassist::bag::ninja::help:

19. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

^ what he said

20. RTL

RTL

I smoke crack, but only when I'm not playing music. Does that count? :bag:

21. Illbay

Illbay

Nah, Cobain was just **A** punk. There's a difference.

Cobain always struck me as the kind of guy TB-type bassists would refuse to play for. He was a d***.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.