Symptoms starting to show....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Frozen J, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Frozen J

Frozen J

Ok, I'm new to this G.A.S. thing. But I needs another one! So, in hunting around locally I have found a few that may satisfy. Two at the top of my *cough* budget and two in the middle. Just thought that I'd ask for opinions. The 'high' ones are a Black '84 4001 rick or an natural EBMM HH stingray. Both around $1200. Both are as far from my MIA jazz as I could hope for. I think. The more affordable choices are a Warwick Rockbass corvette HH or a 2002 RB Washburn Hammerhead JH. Both around $400. They all look really nice. And I wants! Opinions other than 'play then pick the one you like' would be greatly appreciated. All used btw. I'm leaning towards the wick but the rick seems like the best for 'investment'.

2. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

G.A.S. is wonderful.

All four of your choices are rather different. Our of the four, the EBMM Stingray is the most appealing to me. A Rickenbacker is a wonderful bass, and yes they hold their value well. But not everyone feels comfortable playing one. You have to decide that one for yourself.

The Warwick Rockbass and Washburn Hammerhead are honestly not basses on my radar, so I can't say much about them.

Have fun with your G.A.S.

3. bassbenj

bassbenj

I'm not a big fan of Warwicks or Washburns, but you won't find any help with your GAS here. If you play 4s I'd say get the Rick. Years ago I was over at the bass store where I bought my Alembic and was playing a bass. It was a Ric. It was a TOTALLY amazing bass in so many ways! So I ask the owner if it comes in 5 string and he says it does. So I order one. Well too late! The guys at Ric decided they didn't know how to build 5s and discontinued them. My order never came through. And neither did they ever try to build 5ers again. And that's my Ric story. I could get a custom version, but somehow it's just not the same. Bottom line if you play 4 (I don't anymore), get the Ric.

But wait. I LOVE 'rays! I've got an OLP clone and I want a "real" Ray SO bad! And in particular I want an HH stingray in the WORST way! So much so I've bought another pickup to convert my OLP to HH until I score that "real" 'Ray. So no help here Either. Obviously you NEED to have that EBMM HH Stingray as well as the Ric!

Rule: You can never own too many basses! (Hint. This is how G.A.S. works!)

Welcome to G.A.S. Anon.

4. dls119

dls119

My first pick for your options is the EBMM, but have you considered non-rockbass Warwicks?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DogBone

DogBone

The Stingray would compliment your Jazz by being pretty different, it's a cool bass for lotsa good reasons and it would be my first pick.

The Ric and Jazz may not as far apart as you think, but I'm not a fan of 4001/03 Rics anyway so take that with a grain of salt. If I needed to scratch such a Ric itch it would be a new 4003 for a few hundred more more than a typical used 4001 any and every day of the week.

No experience with the others, but if your GAS can be cured for $400 versus over a grand then hey, maybe they're worth checking out! :)

7. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I too would go for the Ric or the Ray.

8. Wallace320

Wallace320

Not my favorite bass at all

But the HH configuration is good at that price tag and sure a bass you'll apppreciate for versatility and value keepin'

Cheers,
    Wallace

9. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

$1200 seems low for a Ric and high for a Stingray. Thus, even though I like Stingrays better, I'd go for the Ric on the basis of being able to turn a small profit on it if I didn't like it.

10. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

1200 buys a new p bass :p

11. kcole4001

kcole4001

An '84 Rick should be a 4003, likely a split 'guard with a 7 screw tailpiece.
    If it's in good shape, that's a decent price.

Never played a Stingray, they're few and far between around here.
    Come to think of it, so are Ricks, most of them in the area reside in my house actually! :)

It seems to me that that's a decent price for the Ray as well.
    Both of these hold their value pretty well, so you shouldn't lose money on them if you do your homework and make sure you know what you're getting.

About the others, I have no insight.

12. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Only trying to choose between 4 basses? You don't have G.A.S. yet. Place a post here again when you maintain a spreadsheet being a wishlist of 150 instruments, and frequently update it with the current best prices and weblinks to those sites.

13. Frozen J

Frozen J

Thanks guys. I haven't played with others in a long time (grown up responsibilities and all) but now find I need to rejoin the 'scene'. I was happy for years with my MIJ precision clone. But.... And your feed back is as I suspected. I need to dip into the retirement savings and buy the Ray AND the Rick. I'll try them both out this month and see.... They both seem reasonably priced and have been on the market for a while.... Oh, and the rick is a 4001 (says so on the truss rod cover) and he had 81 and 84 in the ad.

14. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

I would go for the Ric, partially because I have one and like it, partially because I have decided I don't like active pickups. That's my opinion, and it is priced for value.