1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Synth/Keyboard Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stingraymund, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Stingraymund

Stingraymund

I know this isn't bass guitar-related per se, but bear with me :)

How many of you also play synth/keyboard bass along with bass guitar? What kind of synth basses do you use? How do you integrate it with your setup (esp since bass guitar and synth bass require different EQ settings)? Do you easily switch from one to another?

Keyboard is my first instrument and bass is my second. I sometimes play a Minimoog or an virtual analog synth like the Yamaha AN1x to compliment my bass guitar setup. I don't care what kinds of pedals you use, synth bass can create tones nothing else can.

2. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time. Supporting Member

After our keyboard player quit, I added a Roland PK-5A midi controller and an E-mu Proteus synth. I only use it occasionally - for sound effects, thickening up parts of songs, and holding the bottom down when I play something busy.

I usually go direct into the PA. The hardest part for me is balancing while I'm playing!

3. thewildest

thewildest

You may know this, but you can generate synth sounds from your bass; there are "mount-in" choices as Roland GK-3B or 'built in" by integrating piezo electric pickups in the bridge and having a "13 pin" output from your bass.

Then a GI-10, Gi-20 or Axon conveter and then through midi to your favorite hard/soft synthesizer

I use RmC pickups, an Axon, midi to a firewire Motu, a Mac and Reaktor/Kore/Absynth/Kontakt, a perfectly effective combination

4. escaraBAJO

escaraBAJO

Is that polyphonic?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. darkstorm

darkstorm

I use a Novation ks4 and Maudio venom synths for anythong bass synth, pads, fx, bass guitar substitute voices, backdrops, etc. Synths go to mixer as does bass guitar from its processor. Levels and eq for each instrument set at mixer with enough leeway that synths volume control can still be used as needed.