T-40 infosheet

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eilif, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    The T-40 sheet has been updated!
    Version 3.0 can be seen here:
    T-40 infosheet
    Check it out and please post any additional T-40, -45 or -20 information you might have.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2015
  2. heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    HI, i cant believe anyone posted...

this is great, thank you very much!!

btw: im trying to find the t-40 neck pocket...

will a fender jaz neck fit in?

will a peavey foundation?

another interesting thing will be turning the t-40 into a 5 strings (t-50?)...

MTMTEX Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    austin tx.
    So I find out that Chip Todd has a shop close to where I live. Anyone have any questions they would like for me to ask? Hopefully I dont act like too much of a geek. I can see it now..."so how was it working with Hartley Peavey?" DOH!!! He wants me to come by his shop and give him my take on one of his basses he says is unlike anything on the market. I hope I dont poop my pants.
  4. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Chip's a super nice, laidback guy.

Be sure and take some pics in his shop when you visit.
  5. Sponsored by:

6. No pics no visit!
  7. rodneyat

rodneyat Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Cool info...A T-40 was actually my first bass in about 1995/6. The bass was actually an early 80's model that I bought from a guy who was a guitar player. Natural finish with black pickguard. He received it brand new as a present around 1981/2. Played it a few times and then stuck it in a closet. Almost 15 years later, I buy it from him for $175. As new condition it had the Peavey molded wedge style case and all the case candy. Along with the original plastic coating on the pickguard. I think I sold it a year later or so for $250 or something like that. It would be cool to have it back...man, that was many years ago.
  8. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Man, Eilif, what a great post! I just bought one of these monsters less than a week ago. This is exactly the type of info that will be of benefit to me. Thanks a lot!

MTMTEX Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    austin tx.
    Absolutely. I found out I drive right by his shop twice a day, and never even knew it was there. A lot smaller world out there then it appears. I'll post some pics for all to see when I go by there.
  10. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Glad some folks have gotten some use out of my infosheet. I'll be very interested to see what comes of the visit to Chip Todds house.
  11. StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    I read on here a few months back that I think on one of the T40 forums someone had turned their T40 into a fiver. The necks are wide enough to accommodate the extra string, theres enough room on the headstock for the extra machine head and swapping out the bridge is not a problem or the nut. Though I don't think you'd use a bridge for string through [body] as T40s are set. Than again if you've already drilled the headstock for the extra tuner whats drilling the body for the extra string, right?
  12. ben604

Sep 5, 2007
    Sorry to hijack this post but I'm after one of these in Black with a Maple neck if anyone's got a mint one they'd like to sell, please PM me!!

13. StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    Im after a black with rosewood neck but not anytime in the immediate future. The black T40s usually got for more then the rest outside of the bursts.
  14. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Those looking for a black/maple: I wouldn't worry too much, No T-40 configuration is as common as the ash/maple, but black/maples are, in my experience, the second most common T-40 color combo out there. As long as you don't need an absolute mint example (sorry Ben) just keep your eyes out (TB, ebay, craigslist, the T-40 forum, etc), and you should be able to find a moderately priced example.

Don't wait too long though, because the prices for all kinds T-40's are slowly rising.
  15. deekay911

deekay911 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    Great post - thanks for sharing!! Just picked up my (common) natural T-40 a couple of weeks back from a local girl who hadn't played it since it was bought in 1981. Local classifieds, $250 wow...good thing some people don't have internet, keeps the prices low :)
    One of the pickups is a bit intermittent so those wiring diagrams will be useful for troubleshooting that.
  16. MTMTEX

MTMTEX Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    austin tx.
    As promised here are some pics. What a great experience. Can't wait to go back. :hyper:
  17. MTMTEX

MTMTEX Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    austin tx.
  18. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Jaydee Basses
    Time to revive this....
  19. Great resource Eilif. I'll for sure contribute if I come up with something.
  20. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time. Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    These links no longer work. Has the hosting site been changed? Great work, by the way, Eilif!