1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

T-40 infosheet

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eilif, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Eilif

Eilif

Everything you wanted to know about the T-40 bass V2.3:

I posted this on TB originally, and later updated it extensively at the T-40 forums. I wanted to update it on TB as well, but I couldn't find the original post, so here goes. I'll bookmark and sig this for future updates. Please send me any additional information you may have to add-to or correct this document. I welcome it.

Tone-Very Versatile, but still has a unique tone all it's own. Can achieve one of the best pseudo-ric tones of any non-Rickenbacker instrument. The T-40 is said to be able to do good versions of many other classic basses, but it definitely has it’s own unique tonal character.

Bodies-. Natural and sunburst finished bodies are Ash, and solid colored bodies are made of poplar, with a few early solid colored bodies being made of alder. T-40 bodies are very heavy and are usually made of 4 pieces of wood, with two smaller strips in the middle, reaching a bit wider than edges of the pickups, and two larger pieces on the sides. Fairly good grain matching, along with the huge pick guard, makes many t-40’s look quite consistent from the front, and akin to a butcher block on the back. Later model T-40 bodies are reportedly more contoured and a bit lighter than earlier model T-40’s

Finishes- The most common T-40 body finish is a thin satin natural colored finish with the grain accenuated by the application of a walnut colored grain filler. The finish is not extremely hard, but not being gloss, natural T-40’s hide their dents well. Most other finishes are hard polyurethane gloss and stock colors are Black, White, at least two types of sunburst (Traditional and Sienna), Red, Blue, and Burgundy. Orange has also been spotted and Green has been reported, but best evidence is that they are, custom colors, or aftermarket refinishes.

T-40 necks and headstocks are always gloss finished.

Pickups All Peavey T-40's have chrome rimmed ferrite (iron) humbuckers with a wide frequecy range and the ability to operate in humbucking and single coil modes.

-Early models 78-82/83 have covered dual magnet humbucking pickups (often referred to as “toaster” style). These pickups are noted for being somewhat warmer sounding without quite as much gain as, but perhaps more "thickness" than, the blade models.

-82/83 and later models have single magnet and exposed blade humbucking pickups. Usually referred to as "blade pickups" or "blades", the single magnet design is more efficient and these pickups are noted for having greater attack and high end with more gain than the "toaster" style.

Construction- Made in the USA in Meridian, Mississippi, T-40's tend to be very consistent, well built basses. First bass ever made on CNC routing machines. Changed the way basses were made industrywide.

Neck/Fingerboard- Gloss finished "bi-laminate" maple neck (two pieces of reverse grain maple) is very stable, but sometimes not particularly attractive. No separate fingerboard on maple board models. Also available with a rosewood fingerboard, though not as common as maple. T-40's have a neck tilt feature similar to 70's fenders, but with 4 bolt necks. Some fretless rosewood fingerboard T-40's were produced as the T-40FL model.

Nut-T-40 was introduced with a metal nut, which many owners credit with giving the bass clarity and “ring”. Somewhere in the second half of production (probably post 1984) it was replaced with a plastic nut.

Hardware -Sturdy, sometimes oversized chrome hardware. The cast bridge has a sustain block and allows through body stringing only. Tuners are similar to current model Grover Titan and Schaller m4s model machines. Knobs, bridge and neck plate have "Peavey" or the Peavey "P" embossed over a black enamel background.

Controls- Two switches, a three way selector switch and "mystery" phase switch. Four knobs, consisting of volume and tone for each pickup.

Single coil options-Tone knob switches from humbucker to single coil at the "7" position.

Mystery Switch-Second "mystery" switch is an in-phase/out-of-phase switch that only works when both pickups are on. Brings a nasally honking sound to the bass.

History- Designed by Chip Todd, manufactured from 1978-1987. The T-40 and it's guitar counterpart the T-60 were the first guitars manufactured by Peavey.

Dating- Peavey has a forum where you can post your serial# and get the year of manufacture in a couple of days. http://www.peavey.com/support/forums/

Going rate- Prices on T-40's have been rising. In march 2007, an ebay search showed T-40's averaging between 250 and 350 (with a few cheaper and more expensive) depending on condition, case, etc. Recently, it has become much harder to find T-40's under $300 and a few examples have fetched over $600!

Related instruments- The T-40 was designed as the bass counterpart to theT-60 guitar, with whom it shares almost every major feature. A single pickup version of the T-40 was also manufactured, called the T-45. The T-45 is similar, but lacks a pick guard and phase switch, and has a passive "special mid-frequency roll-of control". The T-20 has similar (though reportedly lighter) body and neck to the t-40, but has a single diagonaly mounted large size “super ferrite” pickup under a pickguard in the mid position, similar to early Peavey “Fury” basses.

Truss rod adjustment- Requires a 5/16" socket type and it is available through Stewart MacDonald

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Truss_rods/Pocket_Truss_Rod_Wrenches.html

Owners Manual- available for download here: http://www.peaveyt60.com/images/Peavey T-60.pdf

Wiring diagram - http://www.peaveyt60.com/mods&hotrodding.htm

Modifications - T-40 is one of the few basses that Darkstar pickups (Hagstrom Bi-Sonic style pickups by Hammon Engineering: www.basspickup.com) can be fitted to without any additional routing. Some owners have also experimented with various means of lightening the bodies. Replacement pick guards are made by Jeanie’s pick guards and others.

Case- T-40's came with a fitted plastic hardshell case in either a rectangle (alumninum frame under plastic) or a rounded wedge shaped case with integral handle. Some early examples came with a very heavy tolex case with unfitted yelowish green interior, leather endcaps, white piping and rounded edges.(very similiar to traditional fender style)

Custom work- Chip Todd (T-40 creator) does custom work on T series instruments and others, including lightening bodies, custom tops, body binding and left handed instruments. http://www.peaveyt60.com/ctecustoms.htm

Promotional materials- All the T-60 materiel here are also features the T-40. http://www.peaveyt60.com/t-60_brochures.htm

Websites: http://www.peaveyt60.com/t-60_articles.htm has schematics (same as t-60) info about T-40 creator Chip Todd, and early Peavey instruments, and some informative articles. Also, check the Peavey website for owners manual and related information on their forums. Chip Todd is known to post on the T-60 and official Peavey forums.

http://peaveyt40.forumotion.com/index.htm
    Not a super active forum, but a great place to get information about the T-40.

PLEASE READ BEFORE QUOTING THIS OUTSIDE OF TALKBASS!
    This has taken me a while to compile, and represents the combined work of myself and alot of other T-40 enthusiasts. I welcome sharing this information, but please, before you go and put this info on your ebay ad (it's been done) or website please credit the author and source. Feel free to contact me with questions.
    Thanks,
    Eilif
  2. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

HI, i cant believe anyone posted...

this is great, thank you very much!!

btw: im trying to find the t-40 neck pocket...

will a fender jaz neck fit in?

will a peavey foundation?

another interesting thing will be turning the t-40 into a 5 strings (t-50?)...
  3. MTMTEX

MTMTEX Supporting Member

So I find out that Chip Todd has a shop close to where I live. Anyone have any questions they would like for me to ask? Hopefully I dont act like too much of a geek. I can see it now..."so how was it working with Hartley Peavey?" DOH!!! He wants me to come by his shop and give him my take on one of his basses he says is unlike anything on the market. I hope I dont poop my pants.
  4. doc540

doc540

Chip's a super nice, laidback guy.

Be sure and take some pics in his shop when you visit.
  5. baba

baba Supporting Member

No pics no visit!
  6. rodneyat

rodneyat

Cool info...A T-40 was actually my first bass in about 1995/6. The bass was actually an early 80's model that I bought from a guy who was a guitar player. Natural finish with black pickguard. He received it brand new as a present around 1981/2. Played it a few times and then stuck it in a closet. Almost 15 years later, I buy it from him for $175. As new condition it had the Peavey molded wedge style case and all the case candy. Along with the original plastic coating on the pickguard. I think I sold it a year later or so for $250 or something like that. It would be cool to have it back...man, that was many years ago.
  7. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Man, Eilif, what a great post! I just bought one of these monsters less than a week ago. This is exactly the type of info that will be of benefit to me. Thanks a lot!
  8. MTMTEX

MTMTEX Supporting Member

Absolutely. I found out I drive right by his shop twice a day, and never even knew it was there. A lot smaller world out there then it appears. I'll post some pics for all to see when I go by there.
  9. Eilif

Eilif

Glad some folks have gotten some use out of my infosheet. I'll be very interested to see what comes of the visit to Chip Todds house.
  10. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

I read on here a few months back that I think on one of the T40 forums someone had turned their T40 into a fiver. The necks are wide enough to accommodate the extra string, theres enough room on the headstock for the extra machine head and swapping out the bridge is not a problem or the nut. Though I don't think you'd use a bridge for string through [body] as T40s are set. Than again if you've already drilled the headstock for the extra tuner whats drilling the body for the extra string, right?
  11. ben604

ben604

Sorry to hijack this post but I'm after one of these in Black with a Maple neck if anyone's got a mint one they'd like to sell, please PM me!!

Thanks,
    Ben.
  12. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Im after a black with rosewood neck but not anytime in the immediate future. The black T40s usually got for more then the rest outside of the bursts.
  13. Eilif

Eilif

Those looking for a black/maple: I wouldn't worry too much, No T-40 configuration is as common as the ash/maple, but black/maples are, in my experience, the second most common T-40 color combo out there. As long as you don't need an absolute mint example (sorry Ben) just keep your eyes out (TB, ebay, craigslist, the T-40 forum, etc), and you should be able to find a moderately priced example.

Don't wait too long though, because the prices for all kinds T-40's are slowly rising.
  14. deekay911

deekay911

Great post - thanks for sharing!! Just picked up my (common) natural T-40 a couple of weeks back from a local girl who hadn't played it since it was bought in 1981. Local classifieds, $250 wow...good thing some people don't have internet, keeps the prices low :)
    One of the pickups is a bit intermittent so those wiring diagrams will be useful for troubleshooting that.
  15. MTMTEX

MTMTEX Supporting Member

As promised here are some pics. What a great experience. Can't wait to go back. :hyper:
  16. MTMTEX

MTMTEX Supporting Member

17. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Jaydee Basses
    Time to revive this....
  18. gm2_in_co

gm2_in_co

Great resource Eilif. I'll for sure contribute if I come up with something.
  19. gm2_in_co

gm2_in_co

20. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time. Supporting Member

These links no longer work. Has the hosting site been changed? Great work, by the way, Eilif!