T.C. Electronic TC 1220 Parametric Equalizer - Vintage!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Effects and Pedals' started by Kevin Woods, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Kevin Woods

Kevin Woods Supporting Member

For Sale: The very highly regarded 80's vintage TC 1220 Parametric Equalizer/Feedback Suppressor. I bought it about a year ago, basically as an experiment, but my basses sound pretty good with minimal equalization so I am going to move this along.

I wouldn't be able to give you chapter and verse how this compares with other parametrics, but:

1) It functions very smoothly and feels very solid.

2) The Gain knobs add a hefty boost if you want it.

3) The Bypass switches are spring loaded, so when you engage the bypass the l.e.d lights up and the switch springs back into place.

4) There are two channels, each with two bands of fully parametric control. You can jumper the first channel to the second and get four bands if you want.

5) The two bands on each channel are 20Hz-200Hz, and 200Hz-20KHz.

Michael Hedges used to have four of these in his live rig to tame his acoustic feedback. R.I.P. Michael.

From the back panel it appears there is a bypass footswitch you could rig up, but I never had it.

You can tell from the pic that a little of the lettering on the word "equalizer" is scraped off, but it doesn't look horrible or anything. One thing about the box itself that I like is that the material is smooth matte, not rough matte. It feels nice and silky, not chalky. On the whole it looks fine and functions just as it should.

I will try to take better pictures soon.

Comes with power cord.

$250 Shipped CONUS. Paypal is fine.

[​IMG]

2. Kevin Woods

Danish blonde babes soldered every connection. For realz.

3. Kevin Woods

This is going over like a lead balloon.

4. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Nice. This is one of those things I'd do not need but want. Probably good my supply of glue is running low.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kevin Woods

7. Honch

Honch

I own one! Thought of selling it, but no no, I have discovered its hidden secrets by now, compared it to all others out there, so mine's a keeper!

Will just help you with the sale:

Here's the specs for anyone interested:

Specifications:
    Frequency Response: 10Hz - 100kHz ±1dB
    Dynamic Range: >116dB
    T.H.D: <0.015% 1kHz, 0dBm
    Jack input: unbalanced, 1M Ohm, max +16dBm
    Jack output: unbalanced, 50 Ohm, max 18dBm
    PPM: 1 LED overload metering
    Input gain: ±20dB
    EQ filters: Q=0.1 to 1 octave,
    Boost/cut: ±16dB,
    Sweep ranges 1: 20 - 2000Hz
    2: 200 - 20000Hz
    Power: 100/120/220/240V, 50/60Hz
    Physical: 19" standard rack mount x 1u
    Weight: 2.7kg (6lbs)

Key Features:
    • Natural equalizing and pure sound: Nothing but the best and most durable components may be used. Minimum signal path assures a clean, transparent signal processor
    • High Speed: The 1220 has a high slew rate of 2 MHz. This drastically reduces intermodulation distortion and thereby eliminates hidden coloration of the sound
    • 2 Bands and preamp: A preamp is built in for boosting low level signals by up to 20dB. All filters have cut/boost of ±16dB and the centre frequency covers a 6.6 octave range providing the possibility for all bands to cover the important area between 200 to 2000Hz. The bandwidth for each of the 4 filters can be set from 0.1 octave to 1 octave to cope with the most demanding applications
    • High Ohm instrument inputs. Can be used for electric guitars recording directly into sound interfaces that doens't have high impedance instrument input.
    • One thing more. It just lasts and lasts, never had to spray the pots ever.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  8. CTC564

CTC564 Gold Supporting Member

When I was playing regularly, I had a TC 1120 Parametric EQ and LOVED it!!! GLWTS ..it's my all time favorite EQ and one of the main reasons that I'm still a TC fan 25 years later

9. Honch

Honch

Yes, I agree CTC564. I kept mine JUST because of that I've pried the market ever since, to find another EQ that is better. I e the technology must've advanced pretty much since then. But no, I was wrong in that regard. Have yet to hear anything beter. At that price at least. I did A/B comparisons in studios and high end situations. The thing is that you don't get ear fatigued when cranking up the high end to boost +16 db at 16 K. It does its job pretty "clean" on every setting. I've heard numerous FOH sound engineers still favoring this one over new TC's and other EQ's.

What I mean with clean, actually has to do with the oft-forgotten tech spec of SLEW RATE (see above). No one lists that today. AFAIK TC is the only one who cared to list this. Whenever doing steep cuts and boosts at peaks, most EQ's can induce a slight phase shift surrounding the frequencies that are supposed to be boosted or cut. This can be - both - interpreted as musical or characteristic of a special kind of EQ, and used as an effect or color to the actual sound. When using this type of EQ (T.C Electronics) with high slew rate, it works/sounds like it isn't activated at all, just giving the transparent sense of "hey, good sound you have there, mate..." : TRANSPARENT it is, on all settings, in capital letters.