T.I Acousticore Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mesaphlin, Feb 13, 2013.

1. mesaphlin

mesaphlin

Hello everyone,

I want to play with Thomastik-Infeld Acousticore Acoustic Bass Strings - 4 String Set on my fretless bass. My question is that are they like flatwounds in terms of durability? I mean everyone knows that with flatwound strings, the one can play many years without changing them like roundwounds and they still stay playable.

Does this concept apply to acousticore strings also? Or are they like roundwounds? So after awhile they go dead or dull so they have to be changed regularly?
  2. famousbirds

famousbirds

Acoustic strings (at least these) won't work. They have a nylon core. Magnetic pickups need a metallic string (or at least a metallic core) in order to register the vibration.
  3. mesaphlin

mesaphlin

mine is Lightwave saber fretless bass so it works with lights not with magnetic pickups.
  4. famousbirds

famousbirds

You know, I thought about mentioning that as the one exception, but I thought, "ah, what were the odds" :D
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mesaphlin

mesaphlin

So acousticores' durability is like flatwounds? Could I play with them longer than I use with roundwounds?
  7. famousbirds

famousbirds

I've not used them, personally. But I would think they're going to be way more mellow out of the box compared to a round - so in that regard, yeah, seems like they'd work like a flat.

You should try em out and let us know!
  8. Robin Ruscio

Robin Ruscio Supporting Member

I Used em for a year or so on a Warwick alien, and they did get a little dead sounding.
  9. biobass

biobass Supporting Member

I have had the same set of Acousticores on my Turner Renaissance fretless 5 for about 7 years now, and they are still going strong. I haven't A/B compared them with a new set. I'm sure they sound different, but they still sound and feel great for what they are. They are still very distinct in their sound and retain their ability to be intonated properly, which is my prime determinant as to when to change strings. Admittedly, I generally can't stand the sound of new strings, except for TI, which I find to sound broken in from the get go. I have Jazz Rounds on my '65 Jazz, my Precision A/E semi-acoustic fretless and my Roscoe Beck 5 have Jazz Flats, my '39 Kay has Spirocores. The youngest set of them all, Jazz Rounds, is probably 5 years old

Cheers,
    Dennis
  10. jon5252

jon5252

I would b
  11. jon5252

jon5252

Sorry that got away too soon. I would really be interested to hear what you think of your lightwave fretless.