1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

T.I. Flat Users, I need help with string action.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by shawshank72, Jan 9, 2011.

1. shawshank72

shawshank72 Supporting Member

Just got a set of TI flats from a fellow tber and I do like them very much. I dont mind the rubber feel as it is actually a nice relief from the stiffness, but the issue of the tension is that the strings are causing huge fret buzz. I have tried raising the saddles and adjusting the truss rod but if I go any higher then the bass becomes undesirable to play. Is there any tricks other users of these strings use to get good string action? It feels like Im in drop d tuning and the strings are flapping on the fret board way too much.
  2. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

you can get really low action with those strings, but you may need to adjust to a lighter touch. I personally find TI flats to be slightly more playable when the action is raised... but in the end I gave up on them because the very low tension requires you to adapt your playing style too much. For some, it's worth it for the distinctive tone. I wasn't one of them.
  3. mobis.fr

mobis.fr

+1 on the lighter touch.
  4. Slax

Slax

I was able to get great low action with mine. I set my neck almost straight and lowered the saddles to get the strings nice and close. Just regular set up stuff.

I'd somewhat agree with a lighter touch but mine don't really buzz when I dig in either...

Maybe you have some high spots in the fretwork? Any other problems with other strings?
  5. waxcomb

waxcomb

turn up your amp
  6. ale29

ale29

Adjusting your technique to the low tension of these strings is necessary, however I'm currently using a quite low action setup and I use a normal touch, not too light, I never really dig in but still...
    As of now i have:
    around 0,4mm relief
    1,3/1,4mm action on the G string, measured on the fret where it reaches the maximum
    2/2,1mm on the E string, still measured on the fret where the action is highest
    At the last fret it's a tad lower than that due to neck relief

Did anyone else notice that the D and G strings feel and sound different from E and A strings? It's like they are even smoother to the touch, less "rough" (not talking tension-wise) and they sound more high-mid oriented compared to the last 2 strings, especially with a pick. E and A strings feels like they are a bit bassier.
  7. shawshank72

No problems with other strings.
  8. shawshank72

Did anyone else notice that the D and G strings feel and sound different from E and A strings? It's like they are even smoother to the touch, less "rough" (not talking tension-wise) and they sound more high-mid oriented compared to the last 2 strings, especially with a pick. E and A strings feels like they are a bit bassier.[/QUOTE]
    I was wondering the same thing myself, I noticed it right off the bat
  9. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

Yes, but only when they are new. Once the set breaks in they will even out. Many people have noticed this.
  10. mowburger

mowburger

sorry to butt in here, but I have been lurking the TI threads and wondering if the low tension evry1 is talking about is compared to other flats, or rounds as well. That is to ask are they "looser" compared to other flats *yes of course* OR looser than all other strings. Again sorry for bit of hijack.
  11. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

they're as loose as the deadest set of medium gauge roundwounds you ever played. not that this is necessarily a bad thing.
  12. Kael

Kael

Depends on the round wound. They feel floppier than the 100-45 D'Addario Nickel XL rounds that I currently have on my fretless J. I'd doubt that they are as low tension as say Sunbeams.
  13. mowburger

mowburger

Thanx for fast replies, never played flats before, I HAVE played Daddario 45-100 XL's and they are fine, right now I have the halfround 45-130's on my P. I assumed everyone that didn't like the tension compared them to other flats(which are generly higher tension than rounds) while I will not have the expereance to compare to other flats, if they are just a lil looser than most 45-100(130) rounds or halfs I think I will be fine.

SORRY SHAWSHANK for temp hijack. :oops:
  14. shawshank72

Not a problem..... only way to find out is by asking anyway that is possible. ;)
  15. shawshank72

Wish they made these in higher guages......
    I like these but just cant stand the fret buzz, a little more tension would be nice.
  16. ale29

ale29

I'm reviving the thread because I've noticed a weird thing about my TI set.
    If I play unplugged the A string open there's a strange harmonic while the fundamental has a lower volume than other strings. That's not really noticeable while playing normally, however there's a definite difference in output when i downstroke or upstroke the A string with a pick. Downstroke has much less volume. I really can't explain this. If I try to reproduce a "downstroke" with fingers, the same thing happens. With another string this doesn't happen (or not so much, at least). Also the string is mounted correctly. I Think I have a defective A string...already contacted thomastik and waiting for an answer.

PS: this set is more than 1 month old, and still D and G strings sound different from the rest of the set.
  17. Johnny StingRay

Johnny StingRay

May already have been posted, but Carol Kaye recommends moving the saddles back toward the bridge. She says don't worry about the intonation at the 12th fret. That will increase the tension.

Personally, it bugs me that my octave notes are not "right" if I don't set the intonation correctly. But, I haven't made zillions of dollars as the greatest studio bassist either.
  18. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

I had a set of XL Nickels on my G&L L-2500 and liked them but the action was a bit high for my taste. I ordered up a set of TI Flats and other than a little tweaking for intonation, I've not changed anything about my setup. The action is a WEE bit highter than I like, but the string tension make up for it.

Very nice strings. Much, much, much better than Chromes.
  19. dalahorse

dalahorse

Interesting advice. I'm still pretty new to the bass, so my thoughts should definitely not be taken too seriously.

To recommend a change of an instrument's adjustments knowing it will throw off proper intonation just sounds incorrect in my opinion. If I play a note, I'd really like for it to be in tune. If a string can't be made to play correctly, I'd imagine use of a different string or professional setup would be better approaches.

For what it's worth, I have a new set of Jazz Flats on the way in the mail. They'll be replacing a set of EB flats (supposed to be the same, or at least very similar to Chromes) that are just too high tension for me. I already play with a light touch and am really looking forward to the change.
  20. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

You'll love the TI's if you are a light touch, economy of motion type player.