1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

T-Rex Mudhoney

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bass-shy, Jun 11, 2006.

1. bass-shy

bass-shy

Well, I found one of these at my local shop the other day and after playing with it at the shop, I NEEDED it. It is one seriously versatile pedal. It keeps the low end intact and has a range of dirt from slight grit to nasty fuzz. It is by far the widest reaching dirt box I have found. At $200.00 US, it's not exactly cheap, but it sounds so good at so many setings, it could replace a few other pedals easily. The best way for me to describe the sounds in this box would be to put a DOD 250 at one end of it's range and a Depth Charge at the other. It does these tones and everywhere in between. Awesome. I'll post more after I have spent more time with it. Anyone else have experience with this box?
  2. uly_

uly_

Hmm, that's interesting. I've owned a T-Rex Alberta once, and it worked "o.k" with bass, but it had that midrangy "hunk" like if you're holding your nose and speaking at the same time ;)

Thought it would be the same with the Mudhoney, but I guess I was wrong there?
  3. bass-shy

bass-shy

The Mudhoney has a sub-harmonic that really fills out the sound. The Alberta is close to a Tubescreamer and had a low cut and mid boost. It is great for guitar but not ideal for bass. On the other hand, the Mudhoney could pass as a "Bass Pedal". There are no compromises in frequency response and such a wide range of tones available. I've had mine for five days and I just can't seem to stop playing. I have mostly been using it for super raunchy fuzz, but it does slight OD so well that I have been thinking about tracking another one down for strictly that purpose. There is hardly any info on TB about this pedal and that is unfortunate because it does so many things well. I'd be willing to bet that it would compare favorably to the Fulltone Bassdrive. It's really that good. Again, it's not cheap, but if you want a killer dirt box at any price, this one is worth a long, hard look. Also, running it into a SABDDI opens a whole new set of tonal possibilities. The two react very well to each other. Between the Mudhoney, SABDDI and my Tech 21 XXL, I don't think there are any dirty tones I can't reach. I'm so glad I found this pedal!
  4. klorence

klorence

the mudhoney came in a very close - photo finish, even - 2nd to my fulltone bassdrive. it's a *really* good sounding box.

had they provided a footswitch for the boost, i might have even bought it instead of the bassdrive... it has a really wonderful sounding creamyness, and doesn't suck the bottom out.

but the fulltone has that magical mid thing going on, which, combined with a footswitchable boost, was the decision maker for me.

if i were made out of money, i'd have bought both.

i still might someday.
  5. bass-shy

bass-shy

6. Crabby

Crabby

My Fulltone impresses me more each time I turn it on. I a/b'd it the other day to my SABDDI to see how the "tube overdrive" sound of the Tech 21 pedal. It became very clear to me how gorgeous the Fulltone really is.

Although I am fairly impressed with the tones I can get from the Tech 21 pedal, its just not in the same league as the Fulltone when it somes to transparant, sweet overdrive that doesn't muddy up the sound of your bass.

The SABDDI messes with the overall character of my sound (i.e:mid scoop) and you just can't set it no matter how hard you try, to not scoop some of the mid character out of your tone. This becomes very apparant if you run a passive Jazz Bass and favour the bridge pickup. With the SABDDI engaged, (even with bass and treble off!) the nasal "Jaco" tone is all but extinguished.

I am really itching to hear the Bass Driver run at 18 volts as it is reported to sound even better when run at the highger voltage. If anyone has tried this, I would love to hear your thoughts. (not to hijack the thread)
  7. bass-shy

bass-shy

It wasn't my intention to compare the Fulltone to a SABDDI, I was saying that the T-Rex Mudhoney would compare favorably to the Fulltone. IMO. of course. Also, I was saying that running the Mudhoney into a SABDDI creates a whole new set of tonal possibilities. I'm surprised that more people don't have a Mudhoney. For my money, it's THE dirt box to beat.
  8. uly_

uly_

So when are we gonna hear it, Bass-shy? ;)
  9. bass-shy

bass-shy

I would be glad to post clips but I don't have any way to get my recordings from tape to digital. If I ever get my s**t together, I will post some.
  10. xan

xan

no mic input on your computer?
  11. bass-shy

bass-shy

12. d3nzi0

d3nzi0

Cool - I have a Mudhoney 2 that has basically TWO Mudhoneys! Can't wait to try it out on my rig!
  13. Cornelius Dawse

Cornelius Dawse

Wow! You ressurected a 7 years old thread! Haha!

Yeah, Mudhoneys aren't bad at all!
  14. DonBorelli

DonBorelli

How does it sound with your rig, d3nzi0?