1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Tactile fretmarks?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by freatles, Apr 10, 2014.

1. freatles

freatles

Any ideas on how to make tactile markers on the neck/fretboard? Or should I just keep practicing intonation to develop better touch?

I am of the school that thinks that one should be able to intonate accurately, given enough practice - and hit the pitch perfectly. But, my skill is not there yet, and it seems that my eyesight is failing faster than my intonation is developing.

Due to the annoying way my retina periodically detaches, I'm often half-blind, and in low light practically blind as a bat.

On two of my fretless ones the fret mark lines do help intonation considerably (whenever playing in good lighting).

2. Lo-E

Lo-E

Not a better touch. Better ears. Muscle memory will get you there eventually, but it's your ears you need to pay attention to now.

3. lz4005

lz4005

On all my fretless basses I put a couple of drops of white glue on the first two or three fret markers on the side of the neck. It makes them into raised bumps that I can wrap my thumb around to feel if I need to.

They've become invaluable to me for starting songs on the right note. Particularly when the stage is dark or if I'm watching for cues from the bandleader.