Tagged or not?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by klaus486, Nov 24, 2012.

?

To tag or not to tag?

1. Large clearly marked tags?

51 vote(s)
    92.7%
  2. Play it and sort out the rest later?

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. klaus486

klaus486

Disclosures:
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    As you can see I work in a musical instrument retail store.

I have a question - When you walk into a guitar store do you want to see large, clearly marked tags with Make, Model, and Price?

Or do you want to just look at the basses, pick the one that appeals to you, play it and figure out the rest later?
  2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

Clearly marked tags. I wouldn't want to feel like I was at an auto dealership.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Clearly marked tags.
  4. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

Clearly marked tags, please.
  5. Auguste

Auguste

I HATE places that do not put price tags.

There is a place around here like that and I don't shop there. Tired of trying to get a salesperson to price things for me. Just don't need the aggravation or wasted time.

Don't the sales clerks get tired of hearing, really that much, it's way over my budget.
  6. throughthefire

throughthefire

If I have to ask, I can't afford it!

At least with hang-tags, I know that I'll be in the right price range for my ability (about 0.02c, generally!)
  7. jefkritz

jefkritz

Media:
    Albums:
  8. James Judson

James Judson

Largely doesn't matter cuz I shop on the internet then go to the local mom and pop store armed with that info.
  9. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Very clear hang tags that are attached to either a tuning machine or the strings on the headstock. As much at that may seem like common sense to most, it's apparently lost on others.

I've seen some shops that used price stickers on the body of the instrument. Really? Do I need to go on a scavenger hunt for the price? So now I have to get some goo-gone in order to clean up the residue from the price sticker. And this also doesn't tell me what model instrument I'm trying out.

And then there's the tag that's attached to the strings over the fingerboard. WHY? It just causes buzz on the fingerboard, and I can't tell if it's the tag or a bad setup. Setups on stock instruments cost the dealer time and money.

Other issues with tagging in stores? Put the instrument's year on the tag, too. This is more important with vintage and used instruments, obviously. But it's also helpful in letting a customer know that the dealer is showing off NOS (new old stock). Some customers want to know how long an instrument has been in stock and hanging in the store. Some manufacturers change features and options in different years. Case in point: Fender made a big shift in the construction of their American Standard series instruments in 2012. The finishes are a little thinner, and they're offering Fender Custom Shop pickups in their guitars and 4 string basses.
  10. AnchorHoy

AnchorHoy

Tags, without exception

Maybe it's just my paranoia talking, but my gut feeling is that if a retailer refuses to publicly post a price for an item then they're too shady for me to trust 'em
  11. Gtripdub

Gtripdub

tags with all info..thanks
  12. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

I absolutely want to see clearly marked tags, or I'll be back out of the shop in seconds.

My least favorite bit is when all of the "affordable" gear is clearly marked and the nicer gear is not. It makes me feel like the retailer wants to look you over and figure out how much they can get out of you.
  13. tplyons

tplyons

Clearly tagged.
  14. El-Bob

El-Bob

Ya know... When I'm trying out basses in a music store, every one always has the tag... until I find the one that I'm really interested in. It's always that ONE bass that has no price tag, and it drives me nuts!
  15. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

Clearly marked tags, please. Preferably with a description that's complete enough to facilitate easy comparison of different instruments, e.g.:
    Scale length
    Active or passive
    Description of electronics if active
    String spacing at nut & bridge
    Weight
    Finish
    Wood species
    Mother's maiden name
    Shoe size
    etc.
  16. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Clearly marked tags. Nothing frustrates me more than when I walk into a music store and have to take a bass of the wall and inspect it in order to find out where the bass is made. This is especially true with Fenders. I only buy MIA and I would prefer to not have to take every Jazz and Precision off the wall to find out where it was made.

Some store owners do not tag there instruments because it forces the potential buyer to speak with an employee. The feeling is that this allows the employee to interact with the customer and have a better chance of making the sale. If prices are clearly marked, there is a chance that the customer will walk out without ever speaking to a store employee.
  17. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

Clearly marked tags facing forward. I like to see how much it's gonna cost me from 20 feet away.
  18. superdick2112

superdick2112 Registered Spector Addict

Tags please.
    I won't shop at any kind of store where product prices are not clearly posted.
  19. fraublugher

fraublugher

Clearly tags , you have to find more creative ways to mess with people than outright telling them you will be randomly selected to be screwed monetarily by omitting vitals.
  20. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Tagged
    Price
    Year
    Model
    With HSC or gig bag

I can figure the rest out