1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tai Anderson of Third Day. Whadda ya think?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by RSJ4STRING, Jul 6, 2009.

1. RSJ4STRING

RSJ4STRING

I'm a big Third Day fan, and I think Tai is a great player that nobody outside christian circles knows about.
  2. TC.65

TC.65

I think he is a great player also. Just good solid bass playing. Third Day is my favorite band.
  3. bigntasty

bigntasty

I like him. He's solid, and I like his sound. Seems a little lethargic on stage at times, but hey - that's been said of me (and many others better than me) from time to time. :p
  4. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Supporting Member

He got to be the bass player because he had a garage they could practice in. I really like the band and have been back stage for several gigs, but as bass players go, he is nothing special.
  5. NS2A

NS2A

I think he lays down some solid lines that fit the songs well. I'd prefer a more aggressive tone from him, but it works. They kind of remind me of Cheap Trick in the sense the sum is greater than it's parts. Besides Mac's voice, there's nothing real spectacular musically going on, yet the feel is there. One of my favorite bands.
  6. Revvv

Revvv

Anderson is a great bassist, and a great guy. Like many of us, he has the ability to become much more technical in the music. There isn't a need though. He does what is needed, and nothing more. I guess you could say that a "Less is more" technique is applied.

I wish more bassists would find that less is more. Listen to most recordings, and you will see that the best music is the least complicated.
  7. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Supporting Member

I will give him some props, he laid down some sweet bass lines on "Time".
  8. drnknmstr

drnknmstr Supporting Member

I heard a live record and for some reason, the bass tone of that particular record was just awful in my ears. Really harsh upper mids.

Studio recordings were different. Yeah, solid bass all throughout.
  9. bassfootballguy

bassfootballguy Supporting Member

Just saw them in Cincinnati. It was my 2nd time in a span of months. Anderson is very solid. In Cincy he had a more midrangy sound going than he did in Tennessee. Both times he played a pair of Jazz basses, mainly a sunburst one with a diamondplate pickguard.
    I think his lines provide a solid foundation for the music and that really is essentially the job of the bassist in the situation he's in. He slapped a little, picked a lot and played some fingerstyle.
    They are an excellent band - and as one previous poster mentioned, other than Powell's vocals there is no hypertechnical work going on, but it all just works.
  10. etechstan

etechstan

Great pocket player who can step up when the song needs it!
  11. grouse789

grouse789

I like him as a player, and he has done a few little things here and there, that lets me know that he can really "play". But third day arent about chops, you know? Like someone else mentioned their sum is greater than their parts. I never cared for any of their studio recordings, as to me, it has that "nice" sound to them, and they really muddy up his tone, or not as upfront. but then again, they arent that kind of band.. I guess that sells alot of records though. lol:bassist:
  12. RSJ4STRING

RSJ4STRING

+1. That's kinda my school of thought in my own playing. You complement the song, not yourself. I got a chance to met Third Day a couple of years ago at a Johnson City TN gig and they are just down to earth guys. a real blessing!!!
  13. fretlessguy

fretlessguy

Tai does what he needs to do...play bass. He isn't a show off, although he is probably very technically proficient and could play in just about any genre if the truth were known. I think he is very solid and good at what he does and why he does it.

FG
  14. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

i like him a lot. time is a great album, one of my favorites!
  15. daveobieone

daveobieone

I got to see him last night in concert in Cape Girardeau (with Third Day). VERY nice tone!...and super-solid bass lines.

He was using a sligtly unusual Fender P-bass, with the extra J-bass bridge pick-up, and the pickups were white. Passive I'd guess. I have an American P-bass that's much like it...with the passive p/u's.

Got to chat with him after the concert, and ask what strings he was using. He said Ernie Ball round-wounds. He was also using an Ampeg amp...a B-15 looking thing, but with a solid state head. I have a tube B-15n. Hadn't seen one of these before.