Take my money! Tronical Tuner

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stephenleejp, Dec 27, 2013.

1. stephenleejp

stephenleejp Supporting Member

2. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    No bass version yet.

3. line6man

line6man

The Tronical system is old news. It came and went about five years ago.

4. DeadZeriousBass

DeadZeriousBass

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassbenj

bassbenj

Wow I like this! I've got a couple SX strats that could use this. I love the speed and accuracy of the the motors.

Let me say that i play guitar with a lot of alternate and open tunings. And am acutely aware of the herd of various tuning guitars problem. So I've been working to solve it for some time. I have so far spend money on two usable solutions.

One is the Hipshot mechanical tuning mechanism. It fits where the tailpiece goes (like say on a resonator guitar where mine is) and give you three notes per string. That allows it to cover nearly all popular alternate or open tunings (but not all!) with one setup. It's shortcoming is that there is a certain amount of string histeresis even with a Graphtech lubed nut that makes tunings just a tad "iffy". Still I use mine quite a bit. It's not horrible and being mechanical has no battery hassle.

The other thing I've got is two Gibson Robot tune guitars. These are pretty much equivalent to the tronical tune in design only bigger older and clunkier and a previous generation. The tronical tunes much faster and comes into lock much better than my Gibson. But other wise they operate about the same. Also I had the fancy control knob fall apart on my Les Paul and I had to glue it back together (it's a complicated technical mess inside!). And the battery charger is quite flakey and hard to keep working right. So far I've nursed it along, but Gibson customer service is like nightmare city. I asked about replacement batteries and they won't sell them. They won't tell you what they are. They insist you actually SHIP the whole guitar to them for expensive repairs just to change the battery. I can see this is going to be a problem down the road.

Tronical tune has a slide out battery (though they haven't said if they sell batteries yet) and it obviously is special and must be purchased from them, but at least there is some provision for it.

Still the Gibson robot tune system DOES tune the guitar fast enogh that you can have ONE guitar and play various tunings from song to song. I am having serious GAS for a Tronical tuner for a strat.

My only hope is that by the time the battery dies in my Gibson Les Paul, Troncal tuners will have a Les Paul model and I can tell Gibson repair to pound salt.

I really don't see any utility for this kind of device for bass though. But then I never play drop-tuning on a bass.

Yes, I want them to take my money too!

7. bassbenj

bassbenj

I don;t know what you mean "went". Their website seems to be going strong.

http://www.tronical.com/

I notice that they now have models to fit a Les Paul too! The "went" you mention seems more to apply to Gibsons Robot tuner guitars which apparently went over in the guitarist world like a lead balloon. I'm sure the somewhat "iffy" operation of it didn't help. Which was why a few years ago they unloaded all those robot guitars at fire sale prices. So I bought a Les Paul and an SG. The guitars themselves are terrific. (yes there really is something special about the tone of real Gibson guitars). And inspite of battery charging hassles they have worked out reasonably well.

But I can see a Tronical upgrade in their future!

8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

the original attempt came and went!

the new version works way better and is way less invasive, consisting of a self-contained tuning key mechanism that installs right onto the neck with no alteration and no connection to the rest of the guitar wiring.

it would still never occur to me to own this, but it's a vast improvement over version 1.

9. icecycle66

icecycle66

That is so friggin' cool.

10. line6man

line6man

I mean that it didn't catch on. It came out, people praised it and criticized it, and then stopped talking about it. Now it's somewhat of a niche market.

At least that's what I've seen. I haven't seen threads about it for a long time now.

11. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

gibson guitars is running hard with it, they have the system stock on all new les paul standards!

at least this time if it fails or the customer grows to hate it, they can easily remove it entirely.