Take the Originals Challenge!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mellowinman, Feb 17, 2014.

1. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It's simple. Post your very original song, that you believe is not derivative of any other act.

THIS IS NOT A TROLL THREAD.

You may critique peoples' originals based on what you think it sounds like. This is not a thread for bashing.

It is simply an informational thread. Sometimes you create something you believe is unique, only to discover that it is very similar to something else.

Sometimes, you really do create something unique!

2. elgecko

elgecko

:hyper:

Ooh! I'm good at this. I can't wait for some entries.

3. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works
  4. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    What's the problem with being "similar to something else?"
    We're all working with the same set of notes and a great many other similarities.
    We humans are also great "similarity-finding" machines (also great "difference-finding" machines). I guarantee that I could post any piece of music and someone here could find similarities to other existing work, or differences.

But for fun, here's "Lucky". Which is definitely similar to and different from some other things.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Supporting Member

7. lowfreqgeek

Disclosures:
    Here's another one I forgot about. Literally just an ill-planned improvised jam over a not-long enough drum loop. So I "made the best of it" by adding a melody and synth parts.

https://soundcloud.com/jon-mcmillan/flights-of-fancy-v2

I'd seriously like to know WHO this sounds like, if anyone hears it. I don't think it particularly sounds like anyone I listen to, but that doesn't mean much.

8. Itzayana

Itzayana

9. RumbleSteve

RumbleSteve

The title is kinda "borrowed" I suppose, DuH Winning. The other track "Slutty" is a good one, but the idea for the bass line sliding was inspired by flea, but I feel, really makes the song what it is.

http://www.reverbnation.com/stevenc

10. lowfreqgeek

Disclosures:
    Both are cool! The thing that immediately came to mind on both tracks, believe it or not, was some early King's X influence. Was also reminded of some mid-90's, melodic stuff from Dog's of Peace and PFR - both produced by Jimmy Lee Sloas, Nashville A-list session guy who also recorded bass on The System Has Failed with Megadeath.

11. mcarp555

mcarp555

12. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

13. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Supporting Member

Punk, and nothing wrong with that. Ok, I'll be "that guy"....move around a little to match the emotion of the song and I think it would be that much better. A little Matt Freeman would match the vibe....IMHO. Keep rocking.

14. mellowinman

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm having issues with my browser, so I couldn't listen to anybody's Soundclouds. I did listen to those of you who have videos. The only songs I've heard so far sound like jazz to me, and some are instrumentals. I am not qualified to say if these songs sound like anyone, because I am too ignorant within the genre. I hope others will listen.

I have not heard much within the ROCK genre, though. Is anyone on this forum creating original rock songs, and willing to post them on this thread?

The Originals vs Covers thread is still raging on, and I think this thread could be very helpful.

15. lowfreqgeek

Disclosures:
    You didn't qualify that you were looking for rock. So here's a few from a now defunct rock band I was in a few years ago. We were going places, then it was suddenly all over. Good little run, though. And I have no idea how "unique" it was. There were a LOT of different influences we were drawing from, but never any intent to sound like anyone else. So who knows?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BKByC09jA0 (Studio cut)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkvCGQi04PM (Studio cut)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHY2hc9eh2E (live, missing one of our guitarists)

16. mellowinman

Media:
    Albums:
    I didn't qualify, because I was just looking for originals in general, but it is hard for ME to comment on jazz, because I am not that knowledgable. I will listen to these when I get home tonight, or maybe tomorrow.

17. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

OK - I'll play along (and most likely get flamed)

Track 1 on our album. Slightly Prog/Rock. Definitely weird. Not Jazz by any stretch.

Click link in sig

18. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Yes it is, and you know that.

19. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Uh...my rock band has a ukelele. We sound like basically any other rock band though.

20. RumbleSteve

RumbleSteve

I like hearing whats out there. Alot of good bass playing as well.

21. mellowinman

Media:
    Albums:
    These are very good.

The two studio songs do sound like a lot of other bands in this genre; that's not necessarily a bad thing; hell it might be a good thing! I would go see this band.

The live song, however, is more original than the others. The Mariachi thing definitely sets it apart.

I think what I was out to prove in this thread is that there is only so much you can do in rock before it sounds like a lot of what has been done before.

Those two studio songs have a Texas boogie feel, with more of a Humble Pie thing going on vocally. Before anyone accuses me of being unfair, I guarantee you, every song I ever wrote sounds derivative of SOMETHING.

I'm sad that band didn't make it; you guys were good.