Take The Sub Gig?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BayStateBass, Mar 12, 2014.

1. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Well, I was just contacted by my old band to fill in for a couple dates this summer when their bass player is on vacation. Not a bad gig, pay is decent, music is easy. Mostly country with a splash of Southern Rock and a few Bluesy tunes. Band leader is a total psycho, which is why I left.

Here's the thing, I didn't just quit. I RAGEQUIT that band. So I'm pretty surprised I got the call to fill in. But, I guess the wonders never cease.

So, if you had a real falling out with a band and they called you a year later to sub in, would you?

2. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

If it's "water under the bridge" for you, then do it. If you RAGEQUIT and they still want you back, it sounds like they have gotten over it.
    If, however, you don't like them as people, hence your style of quitting, it's not worth the knot in your stomach to be around them again.

3. taliesin

taliesin

If the money is decent and you can just show up, do the gig and leave without the band drama I would absolutely do it.

4. dalkowski

dalkowski

That's what I was thinking. I'd be nothing more than a hired hand.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Personally, I'm over it. I would think they are, too. After all, the only remaining member from when I played with them is the BL, so I don't think the others have an axe to grind. After leaving GRB I got into a band I really like and have been doing real well with. The old band is, and always has been, a very busy band with a lot of bookings. The only concern I have is the the BL is a real whacko, and after I left we basically cut ties (after having been pretty close for quite a while). I just don't want him to get the idea that we're BFF's again.

As long as he understands it's just business and he's not free to e-mail me 25 times a day, call my house at 11:00 at night, harass my wife about why I'm not calling him back within 10 minutes, blah blah blah, we're all good.

7. dalkowski

dalkowski

... all of which never happened last time 'round, right? Because that's some psycho sh*t and I'd run the other way.

8. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Hence the lack of my immediate "yes".

9. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

If you like 'em then yes. If you don't like 'em then, "sorry guys I'm busy those dates".

10. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

Ahhhhhh, that paints a different picture.

If he (she) is that psycho, I'd think twice, too.

If anything, be up front and just say you're happy to sub, but that's it. If you think they can handle it, then go make a few bucks. IF, however, you think it's going to open a can of worms, it's not worth the angst.

11. dalkowski

dalkowski

I'd politely pass then. I can't imagine they'd be paying you anywhere near enough to go through that kind of hell (and him bringing your wife into it was absolutely, unequivocally over the line).

12. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Come up.with your usual rate for such a hired gun date then up it by an extra 45% to deal with the BLs potential douchebaggery. Collect the money, non refundable, in advance. Then laugh at his antics and be the first to leave the club at the end of the.last set.

13. Not yet

Not yet

It's a gig... Just went thru same w other band used to play w who were like a jealous wife. Got bored, did a gig and politely shut em down when they tried to get remarried

If it works for you, why not. Me, I like playing

14. Ronbassman

Ronbassman

Define "Total Psycho"

15. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

I've done it before. Left over stupid management issues, got a call six months later to sub, ended up with them for six more years after that night.