1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Taking apart Hipshot Ultralite Tuners?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Dolando, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Dolando

Dolando

Hi, I have a chance to get a set of cheap hipshot ultralite bass tuners in chrome, I was wondering how difficult it would be to take these apart and get them sprayed black. Not sure if they'll contain lots of little washers etc.

Has anyone repaired these or taken them apart for whatever reason?

Cost of spraying is no issue, my girlfriends dad sprays cars, and has already sprayed a neck plate and screw heads for me.

Thanks,

Adam

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Yes, I've taken them apart and, yes, there lots of little pieces. The only two fasteners which need to be removed are the cap screw tensioner and PH which secures the gear to the string post. The rest will fall apart on its own. Best to proceed slowly and note where things go. Gotta love a camera phone for this sort of thing!

Riis

3. mongo2

mongo2

I've disassembled them to change their left/right side orientation. Not a big deal, just don't lose the little washers.

4. Dolando

Dolando

Great, thanks. Just thought, not sure how the paint would hold up to a string wrapped around it?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Depends on the paint and the strings. My main bass has black hardware, and I use strings with no silk. There is a bit of wear on the paint, but we're talking about a bass that's at least 15 years old. You can't see it unless the strings are off anyway. Use strings with silk windings if you're worried about it.

7. Dolando

Dolando

Yea, would probably be the same paint as wht you spray a car with and itching it would be water based, but I could be making this up.

8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

painting metal guitar parts is usually a big fail.

it looks amateurish, and the paint quickly begins to flake off.

9. Jaco D

Jaco D

^^ I agree, specially for a "high-traffic" (in the absence of a better term) part of the guitar like the tuners. You might be better-off having it plated by a good plating service provider.

10. Dolando

Dolando

Yea I agree, was just seeing if doing this would be easy enough or a real pain, and I think it's the latter. So going to just bite the bullet and get some in black.

Cheers,

Adam