1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Taking my first-ever lesson next week!!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by pocketgroove, Nov 13, 2012.

1. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

So, after 4 or 5 years of playing bass, I'm going to take my first lesson next week! I'm really excited, but also apprehensive and afraid to find out just how much I don't know. The instructor is really, really nice and he knows bass very well; we are going to work on both electric and upright bass, with an emphasis on jazz. For the first time in a long time, I feel like new doors are opening.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my enthusiasm and excitement. In turn, it would be great if any of you wanted to share tips, thoughts, encouragement, or anything else.

Thanks!
    -Sam

2. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

Record it. Buy a cheap recorder if you have to but record the lesson. That's the best advice I can give.

3. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor

+1000 on this. I have recorded every lesson I ever had with my bass teacher and you will be amazed at how much you miss when you're in the middle of a lesson trying to figure out what the instructor is saying. You will get a lot more out of your lessons if you can review it later, over and over.

I've just started reviewing all my lessons from the first recorded one, just to make sure I have the fundamental stuff down. I've been playing and gigging for about 4 years (long time huh? lol...) and there is a lot of stuff from those first few lessons that I realize I'm not doing very well. But most people think I've been playing for a very long time so it's good enough to fool the masses, lol.

Having an instructor really helps, but playing gigs is super important also. That's where you learn to play. You also have to practice your ass off. "There's no magic finger dust", as my teacher likes to say.

4. carlthegroover

carlthegroover

Encouragement. I just know that, learning from an experienced bass player, one can get better at playing, not worse. And you have immediate feedback on what you're doing right and wrong, and you can discuss anything music.

On retrospect, I wish I had a recorder with me when I took lessons about a year ago. So I second the idea of having a recorder in handy.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Thanks for the encouragement and advice everyone. The lesson is in two days; I'm really excited, and I'm also interested to get feedback on where I'm at from years of my own work.

7. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

So I had the lesson tonight...it was a lot of fun, and really eye-opening. I'm amazed at how much I've held myself back by not seeking lessons sooner.

8. Ziggy_Starbucks

Ziggy_Starbucks

I remember when i had my first lesson. Once a week at my local intrument store. i think i learnt more in the first month of that than i did in the entire two years i had been playing. everyone who has said record your lessons is spot on i wish i had done it.

9. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Congrats. My lesson is the highlight of my week. I've saved thousands on traditional therapy.

10. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Funny you should mention that...I was not feeling too good about the chunk of money that will be coming out of my rather meager income to pay for this...then I thought, well, this is nothing to what a psychiatrist would cost!

11. dalkowski

dalkowski

Way to go! I wish I had the time and a teacher to go back to lessons!

Advice you didn't ask for: Talk with your teacher about your goals. Having clear, achievable goals will help you stay focused and motivated. It'll help your teacher create better lessons for you. And you'll feel awesome every time you reach a goal.

Enjoy!

12. matey

matey

cool it was thanks to this forum i got a teacher instead of just persevering at it my self, i found he really helps with technique going to go see him play with his band friday night should be fun, its anoying that my thumb hurts from playing too much bass but trying some phsio :bassist:

13. dave64o

dave64o A legendary low talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

It's amazing how many people here poopoo lessons, learning theory, etc. and wear their ignorance with pride. I just don't get that. :confused: :rollno: :meh:

I started taking lessons at the ripe old age of 45 and am very glad I finally decided to do it. But finding the right instructor is very important. If yours has the experience needed to teach, the ability to teach, and the drive to teach then you struck gold. You'll progress farther faster than you ever could on your own.

14. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

I was one of those for a while, and now I'm amazed at how much I held myself back. My instructor is great...he's a super nice guy, and very talented, tasteful player. On top of that, his style is in line with my own - even before taking lessons, I aspired to be exactly the type of bass player that he is.

15. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Yeah, my teacher is older than me and has a lot of things going on that I aspire to. Definitely broadened my horizons in terms of the types of gigs I'd like to play. He kind of does it all.

I really think you learn better when you open yourself up like that to a teacher. I dunno, I think that's part of the strength of the "Eastern" sensibility of the Master-Student relationship (at least what they show in kungfu movies). You learn a lot more than if you're like "I'm paying this guy so he'd better teach me to play jazz."