Taking the next step

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington' started by basslayer, Nov 24, 2012.

1. basslayer

basslayer Supporting Member

Hello,

How does a musician get into professional playing situations/paying gigs? I feel as though I am stuck playing with people who are not interested in professional work. How do I move into circles of more serious musicians? I've been taking lessons to fill the gaps of knowledge that may persist in my playing, but I still am not sure how I can get involved with working professionals. How can I find out and be invited to auditions?
    Thanks you for reading.
    Thanks
  2. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Hey slayer,

I refer to that as 'creating the scene that you want to be a part of'.

A lot of us are waiting for 'the call' or 'the invite'.

But I suggest to my students that they don't wait to get invited to the Blues or Funk jam,...they start it themselves. There's nothing from stopping you from doing what others do but,...YOU.

I wanted to be a studio musician and a teacher so I built a studio and opened my own school. That's how I operate. I AIN'T WAITING ON ANYBODY FOR WORK!!!

If you want to play Funky Jazz(or Jazzy Funk) you need to frequent the place where that kind of music is played. And you need to make yourself known to all of the 'players' without bring pushy. And you need to NOT ask to sit in. And it would probably be a good idea to turn down the 1st and 2nd invite to play. But learn some of the tunes on your own. And then one time when you're invited get up and play your ass off. But you still have to frequent the place, but as a spectator. You don't want to become the 'sit in' guy. But you want to be the 1st one they think of when they hear of a band looking for a bassist.

There's a mechanism to working. Some of understand that and work a lot. Some of us don't and never get meaningful work.

And it has very little to do with ability!

peace,
    anthony
  3. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Media:
    Basslayer,
    Where is your website? These days, this is key.
  4. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

www.anthonywellington.com

From there you can connect to the Bassology website, my Facebook and my YouTube channel.

Or were you referring to him?

peace,
    anthony
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Media:
    Haha! Yes, I was referring to him. But your website is an excellent example of self promotion.
  7. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

You can't make in this day and age without embracing technology.