Tal at NAMM 2014

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Michedelic, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Michedelic

Michedelic

What a mob scene! I saw people lining up early after I watched Robert Randolph perform solo lap steel at the Lace booth(literally just on the other side of the scrim/curtain form the EBS booth); that was transcendental enough...but then I went down the way to be dazzled by Albert Lee at the Ernie Ball sprawl. By the time I got back to see Tal, there were at least 200 people on the tiny side aisle. While I did take vdeos, they were mainly of the back of peoples' heads, but these were done by someone who had the patience to get in the front first. She performed The Beatles' 'Yer Blues' and a low key version of 'Whipping Post'; sang on both. Steve Ferrone(AWB/Tom Petty on drums). Madness!

2. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

Tal's solo album was spectecular and truly a hard act to follow. The set the bar really high for herself with that.
    I don't know what is so special about this.She is not doing herself any favors to go public with this.Her singing isn't nearly up to par with her playing and the tune has been done by thousands of bar bands all over the world. I sure hope she doesn't move into that direction. Robben Ford unfortunalely chose this direction but he probably makes a great living playing just playing the blues. Tal's is way overqualified to play this kind of music.

3. Dudaronamous

Dudaronamous Supporting Member Supporting Member

Who is the guitar player?

4. 10cc

10cc

Too young for blues

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassface73

bassface73

What does this mean? Was Johnny Lang too young for blues?! I hope you are kidding.

7. cnltb

cnltb

+1

...and really not made for singing I recon.

Doing well for herself without it. No?

8. cnltb

cnltb

Some pull it off.

9. bassface73

bassface73

In my opinion, it's not her age. She just doesn't have the vocal skills or experience yet. I have heard many 50 year old blues singers who have been very bad.

10. cnltb

cnltb

agreed.
    Nothing to do with age I recon.
    One either likes what she does or one doesn't.

11. bswag

bswag "What's the ugliest part of your body?" Supporting Member

Er... Based on the "audio quality" of those clips (Maximum background noise! Yeah!) I really can't form an audio opinion. Which leaves me only to theorize...
    Let's see, Junior Wells and Charlie Musselwhite (to pick a couple blues names) were both quite young when they began their careers; of course they had teachers/mentors like Sonny Boy Williamson II and Little Walter in Chicago. And was John Lennon a "blues" musician? Were the Allman Brothers?
    Tal has been playing with the likes of Jeff Beck and Herbie Hancock and so on, so she doesn't seem to lack for good (!!!) musical mentors/partners, does she? I (or you) may not like each and every thing she does, big deal. Lots of folks I've been listening to most of my life have put out reams of stuff I don't like as well (Bob! Neil! Jeff! Eric! Jimmy!), that doesn't mean I don't or can't enjoy their good (by my judgement) work.
    Maybe if Tal reads a lot of threads like this one, she'll get a "legitimate" case of the blues for sure! But from what I've heard from her so far, she has serious technical and musical skills at her disposal, and appears to be fearless. Nor can I hate her 'cause she's beautiful and young, which seems to bug some folks. I don't hate Mick and Keef for being old and worn, do I? Ella Fitzgerald wouldn't get an audition today with her looks, but could she sing? Can the little fishies swim?
    Have I gone on long enough? Sorry! Tal, rock on!

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

Tal is very young, and although she is a monster player, we need to give her space to grow. I remember Stanley Clarke, emerged as a genius player, but he he went through a period of mediocre singing and so so songs.

13. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Creator of: iGigBook, iGigBook Mobile, iGigBook Index, iGigBook Pager
  14. Dr. Cheese

If Stanley Clarke could have sung like Howard Hewett, we would have never been able to shut him up!:D

Go check out Journey to Love or the Vulcan Princess to hear some genuine Stanley Clarke vocals.

15. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member

I bet she sings way better than me.

16. cnltb

cnltb

I'd still say...stick to playing bass...just the bass.

17. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Creator of: iGigBook, iGigBook Mobile, iGigBook Index, iGigBook Pager
    A person with a great voice still sounds great even over a tiny transistor radio.

18. ERIC31

ERIC31

I liked that. Tal did good especially considering where they played and the lack of decent sound quality in that place. Groove on Tal! You have a long career ahead of you. :D

19. Michedelic

Michedelic

One thing I must point out is the environment/logistics of NAMM, and of her particular slot at EBS. While I realize almost every musician dreams of going to NAMM, and it is a very cool experience(and priviledge), being there is an endurance test, a total assault on the senses. Imagine a Guitar Center the size of a Costco on a Saturday afternoon, multiply that by five, and you might have a faint idea. There is a constant ambient din that, if you paid attention to it, would drive you crazy. They have guys running around with decibel meters, and if a booth exceeds a certain level, they get fined. Doesn't solve anything. Crowd wise, ever been in downtown Manhattan at rush hour? Kinda like that. Her performance took place in the middle of Saturday, when it seems like every booth has a notable musician playing. As I mentioned, within a half hour I saw Robert Randolph, Albert Lee, and Tal all perform within 50 feet of each other, and who knows who else was just an aisle or two over. There was literally a flash mob for Tal. Have you ever been so late to a gig that you had to make your way through the audience(after perhaps hiking across a large parking lot)? No warm-up, no sound check, and feeling a lot of pressure? That was this situation. The little vocal PA system was not turned up very loud, and from my vantage point in the back of the crowd, all I could really hear were the drums, and Ferrone was playing a very small kit, almost cocktail drum style. I think she did an admirable job, with all these people in her face. Yeah, I though the tune selection was a bit weird, but hey, it's her band, she's fronting, and after all this time of backing up others, she can play what she wants. It will stand or fall on its own merits.

20. Dr. Cheese

She can sing, but she needs to put in work on her vocals like she has done with the bass.

21. SlingBass4

SlingBass4 Supporting Member

Tal is a hardworking and talented bassist. That said: I thought those arrangements and her singing stunk up the place. That ought to stir up the "fanboys" :p Keep in mind the Beatles wrote that song when they weren't much older than her. I generally enjoy her work, and look for good things from her. I judge everyone the same - those songs wouldn't pass muster anywhere *I* play or go :rollno: