1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Talk Bass's: Teaching Your Child Bass Guitar (the draft phase)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ZachariahLee, Nov 13, 2013.

1. ZachariahLee

ZachariahLee

I'm pretty excited that my 9 year old step son wants a bass guitar for Christmas, and really excited about the quality time he and I will get to share in the form of lessons. I've never given lessons, and certainly never attempted a lesson with a 9 year old. Outside of the first few lessons (getting to know the bass, how to care for the bass, how to position the bass, and drills/exercises) I'm not sure how to go about this.

Theory: later (hopefully not much later)

Learn a song: (possible if easy)

Games: (I do own Rocksmith, perhaps a good tool outside of the lesson, but I want this time with him not playing the Playstation)

I really want the lessons to be fun. I want to keep his attention for the solid 30 to 45 minutes. I want him looking forward to getting his next lesson. I also would love to hear him playing on his own after the lesson (showing real interest in the instrument). I would really like for this to last at least 6 months before he starts learning on his own with books, videos, paid lessons and Lord help me "the internet".

I'm open to suggestions, and no I'm not working on a book for kids. It would be a good idea though right? LOL :bassist:

2. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

After we got past the basics of how to hold the beast and how to get sound from it............

My instructor gave me three things to work on each week.

When I left his studio.......

I had fake chord on a homework song to work on before our next session.

I had a short theory paper that pertained to that song.

And I had an "old song" that he and I were still working on. So I had two songs to work on before next session and a theory paper to digest.

At the session I would play the old song and he would point out things I should work on. Once he was happy with this song it went in my "gig book" and I was given a new homework song and theory paper for that new song.

Always had two songs being worked on and a theory paper for the new homework song. I had no questions about what I was to work on this week as it was all written down on paper.

Little more work on your part, but, your Son will have a good idea what he is to work on.

I liked the structure of this. I always knew what was expected and knew what I should be working on.

Offered for what it's worth.

3. wmheilma

wmheilma

Awesome! My advice is to start simply. Try not to overwhelm him at first. You can help him with some exercises. Ask him if there is a song he would like to learn. Have fun!

4. ZachariahLee

ZachariahLee

I certainly agree with the keeping it structured, and "homework" is something he is familiar with already. I will certainly add this idea (probably minus the music theory paper). If he can come back the following session and show improvement over the things we discussed we can move on.

Any other ideas would be very appreciated.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Depending on the 9 year old a structure may not work. The idea is to keep him having fun at that age. Find some easy songs like Blitzkrieg Bop or 7 Nation Army or something that he can learn right away. A gig that young usually just wants to jam at first.

7. bkbirge

bkbirge

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    I've been trying to teach my 6 year old daughter piano. She likes it but is very undisciplined when I'm teaching, she views it as play time. She also just started on recorder lessons and she is in rapt attention at her teacher and views practice as fun homework that she is serious about. It is hard for parents to teach their own kids but keep at it and good luck!

8. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Short attention spans. Simple songs and expect to repeat a lot.