Talk Talk - Talk Talk

Discussion in 'Tablature [BG]' started by mr sprocket, Nov 27, 2012.

1. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

I know pretty simple song but for some reason my brain is not getting the verse part right.

2. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy Supporting Member

Hey, it sounds like the low part is C-Bb-C with the pops being the octave C. Make sense?

3. obimark

obimark

That sounds right, for whatever reason either those guys tuned down a half step or they really iked the flat keys.

Check out "Life's What you Make it" Damn that is one of my favorite tunes of all times, not even sure if it is bass doubling the main riff or not, but I love to play it over and over.

4. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

@PlayTheBass is there an Eb in there? The octave pop is an odd time. I keep wanting to play it on a down beat.

@obimark I wonder if the songs were written on the piano and the bass had to follow. I wish I could find a cleaner version of the bass line. With the effects and mix it is a little muddy. I found a live version but the bass player was not playing the octave pop.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. obimark

obimark

Just played with it some, to me it is mostly a C note, and the C octave on the verses, with some muted thumb slaps, and popping the high C, then it walks up in the chorus, C- to E Flat to F - mostly on the A string.
    Interesting enough there other big hit, Its my life is also in Eflat and Aflat... they must have really loved those keys. Unusual for msot bands.

7. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

almost certainly written on keys; tim friese-greene (sp?) was a co-songwriter for most of their tunes.

some really neat fretless bass on 'the colour of spring' album, following in pino palladino's footsteps...

8. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy Supporting Member

Yes, it's an Eb -- I was playing Eb, but mistyped it as Bb, sorry about that.

As for the time, think of it as a 2-bar phrase. The pop is on the "and" of beat 4 in the first bar, so where the * is:

1 & 2 & 3 & 4 *
    1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &

It seems weird at first, but once you count it and kind of feel it at a slower tempo, you'll pick it right up. It might help to kind of put your hand in position to pluck the string on the downbeat, then pull it on the upbeat.