1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Talk to me about Watco Danish Oil. How to apply?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by reverendrally, Dec 18, 2013.

1. reverendrally

reverendrally

Right, so with the arrival of Masters Hardware 5 min from my house, I now have easy, cheap access to all sorts of paints and glues from the good ol' US of A. STOKED! :hyper:

Picked up some Watco Danish Oil today.

How do I apply it for the best finish? Is it a rub in with progressive grades of paper like truoil? Or is there some other trick to it?

2. Konquest

Konquest

I've had success in woodworking projects sanding it into the grain/pores with very fine (600) wet-dry paper. It does very little to protect the wood, though. On an instrument I could see using a few coats to pop the grain/add chatoyance. It is an "in the wood" type finish more than a "film" if that makes sense...

3. Beej

Beej

I like Jazzdogg's tutorial here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/sanded-oil-finish-384222/ Even though he kinda spells out his move away from Watco, it also works nicely with Watco. I've used it on furniture refins and although you can get a really nice finish, it's not hardy against strikes, but it will take a long time to wear down IME... :)