Talk Two Fifteens

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, Oct 16, 2013.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall ABZ Player Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    What options are out there in the land of 2x15" cabs?

I've gota big, old, heavy Peavey 215 (not the D with Black Widows) that sounds great. But it's big, old, and heavy. And doesn't fit in my car, which isn't a big deal now since one of my bandmates lives a couple blocks away and has more than enough room for his gear and mine.

Of course, GAS is a bitch, so I'm trying to compile a list of 2x15s that are a little bit more portable. And maybe a little more tonally versatile. I like a big, fat, punchy tone with enough treble for some slap-and-pop and a wee bit of tapping.

I play only passive basses including 4 string P, J, and T-40s, and a Dingwall 5 string tuned standard. My head is a Peavey VB-2. My current cab does the job, and quite well.

I've read up a lot on the fEarful line, and a bit on the fEarless stuff and the Dually (I think the Dually would probably do it for me). I also read JohnK_10's thread about his 'Starliner' build (I think this one would also work well).

I like the smaller size of these, versus the Peavey I have now which is about 40" tall. A cab just a few inches shorter would fit in the trunk of my Geo Metro (you read that right). Saving some weight would help, too.

TL;DR - name all the 2x15" cabs, new or used, you can think of that aren't impossible to find.

2. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Ampeg used to make a SVT-215he. Try to find one used at like guitar center.

3. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    For me I would have to vote for any of the Greenboy 215 cabs. I have the big fEARful 1515/66/1 and it's a killer. Now the 3way cabs are not for everyone vas are not a have all end all cab....... If you like more old school Greenboy has some great choices...... As well there are some great commercial 15 loaded cabs out there. JohnKs cab that you mentioned looks like another great cab...... In the end it is all what your ears like!! If you find something that covers your needs and makes you happy, then do it and heck with whatever anyone else thinks!! ;-) ~Elliot

4. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

Get a different car...... like ANY different car.

Then take a look at the dozens of 1-15 options out there. They would be more portable, modular and there would be lots more choices.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
  7. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    DuallyT would be my suggestion.

This is how I roll.
    [​IMG]

8. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i usually rock two 15's ...
    [​IMG]

9. Humbled

Humbled Supporting Member

The next 2x15 size cabinet I buy will likely be a Fender 610Neo.

10. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    The Dually would be of similair height and width and a couple/few inches deeper than your Peavey but much, much lighter. Could go that route or build/have built a clone of JohnK's cab for its compactness. I believe he made it to fit in a typical car trunk.

If your Peavey is doing it tonewise, I'd load either of those with the Faitals and leave out the tweeter.

Mesa makes some nice sounding 215's but they are heavy.

11. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    You could actually just build a Starliner and load your drivers in it. They'll work fine at that size and tuning.

12. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The whole thing about the tweeter in the Dually is, if you have never heard it with out, you would thing the 15PR400s were all you ever need. They get you about 95% of the way there, but the tweeter really sets the cab off.

IMHO IME YMMV....

13. pulse

pulse

double 1 x 15 is so easy to deal with and sounds good

14. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

I need to jump on the two 115 bandwagon here too ... if 15's are your quest, couple Bag End S115-D's are the only 15's I will ever own again ... JMHO

15. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Disclosures:
    MI Amp Engineer: Peavey Electronics
    There is the Peavey VB-215 with BW's, and it plays well with the VB-2.

Beware of low sensitivity cabs with a tube amp.

16. christopherogut

christopherogut

I've got a Schroeder 1515+L that's two neo 15" drivers in a front/side-firing setup, no tweeter, weighs 38lbs, handles 800w RMS at 8ohms, and fits in the back of my Beetle without having to fold the back seats.

It is a little monster! A bit buzzy at times 'cause it's so lightweight and doesn't have the greatest high end response from the drivers but I EQ my way to a happy medium.

[​IMG]

17. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    I didn't know there was a VB-215....cool.

My Widows have sounded fantastic with every tube amp I've ever put on them. Any amp of any kind actually.

18. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall ABZ Player Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Completely pointless post. I get better mileage than many hybrids.

Thanks for all the cab suggestions guys!

19. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

I pair my vb-2 with an ampeg 810, Its been pretty awesome.

20. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

I guess it didn't come across in my post but I was just teasing you a bit. If you like the car, drive the crap out of it. I knew a girl who had one when they came out, and it pretty much fell apart on her though. Either way, I apologize if I offended you.

21. Tim1

Tim1

I have owned or used many fifteen cabs over the years, each has its own virtues. For a long time my fave has been a Bergantino NV215, but since owning one of their NV115s as well I would have to say that two Berg NV115s would be absolute bliss (remember also that each cab has a 6" midrange driver). These are sealed cabs and bring the best out of tube heads but match very well with solid state also.