1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Talkbass Golfers Club!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SoonerMatt, Dec 2, 2011.

1. SoonerMatt

SoonerMatt It looks like a mira- IT'S IN THE HOLE! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Fuzzhugger(fx)
    Do you play golf? Are you a pro or complete newbie? Do you enjoy sinking chips and hate duffs? Whether you just crush balls once a week at the driving range or are a regular at the local course, this is the club for us bassists who enjoy the simple and at times frustrating bliss that is golf.

Feel free to talk about what's in your bag, give tips and help to newcomers, discuss the happenings of the PGA, and argue the differences between various balls all right here. And always remember....

[​IMG]
  2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler Supporting Member

Im a golf junkie. Been in a slump lately. Played in Japan last week. Can't hit my irons worth a damn right now. There's a couple of threads already though.
  3. basstotheface

basstotheface

Hit 87 with my buddies last week. Would've been better if I could've putted worth a damn,
  4. Ayce

Ayce

I used to play, if that's what you call it. :)
    My golfing buddy used to call me "the worm killer"
    I had a set of cheap Northwestern clubs, a nice Mizino bag that someone tossed, and a cart that I got from my SIL one year for xmas. I left them behind in ON when we left. No room in the van. :crying: All I have left are wooden 1 and 3 woods that are in storage. I used to play @ Mayfield near TO when I did play. Nice course with some tricky holes.
    Don't have the time or $$ to get back into playing the game again.
    I did pretty well on the Golden Bear series, though. ;)
  5. SoonerMatt

Disclosures:
    Did you play golf in Japan? :p
  6. TJ55

TJ55

12 hcp right now and working to get it into single digits. With KY weather, it's obviously hard to do this time of year. What a game!
  7. Schlyder

Schlyder

I'm in. I have worked in the golf industy for about 17 years. As a turfy and then as an club pro. I also have a 1000 sq/ft putting green in my backyard.
    I play to about a +2 - scratch hdcp. Lowest I have had it is a +4. I also have a small workshop where I do clubfitting and some repairs.

my green
    [​IMG]
    my clubs (custom NIKE blades)
    [​IMG]
  8. TJ55

TJ55

::droool::

The secret is in the dirt man , I know.

I practice quite a bit and I'm the ulitmate "Ranger Rick". If I ever figure out how to take my range swing to the course, I'll be...well...I'll...I'll still be looking to improve from single digits to lower single digits. "Perfection is unattainable".

ETA: Tiger hit some shots and rolled some putts that were encouraging today.
  9. Diplowmatt

Diplowmatt

Last time I played, buddy of mine stood up and took a piss off the side of the cart as I was driving it.

Oh the fun of public golf courses.
  10. MakiSupaStar

Oh, I did that too.
  11. Ripper

Ripper

I haven't played in a while because racecar and college, but I was getting pretty decent once upon a time. I kinda got stuck to it, due to the ability of me to play whenever I want whenever I'm home. If you ever wind up in WNY give Ironwood Golf Course in Cowlesville a shot.
  12. MakiSupaStar

Going to see Tiger play tomorrow.
  13. SoonerMatt

Disclosures:
    That should be fun! It looks like he's finally gotten his groove back after realizing he can't ride on the wave of his past success.

Also, I'm looking at abandoning my long irons for hybrids. Has anyone else made this transition?
  14. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

Also play. Not so much this year with floods taking up most of my time all summer.
  15. DanAleks

DanAleks Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult Supporting Member

Yes, I've switched to hybrids. I'm hitting noticeably better with the hybrids. :hyper:
  16. Ripper

Ripper

I switched a few years ago from long irons and fairway woods to hybrids. Works quite well for me for the most part.
  17. MakiSupaStar

Long time ago. My 3,4,5 are hybrids. The tournament was fun. Although the security around Tiger is ridiculous. You're allowed to bring your phones onto the course now, but still no photos or videos. Security was pretty lax for all the other players. Fairly easy to sneak a photo. But for Tiger is was ridiculous. He had a whole crew of guys dressed in blue (I was calling them Blue Meanies) that were simply taking cell phones from people. Not sure if they had the authority to do that. I probably would have opted to let my ticket go. Still total dickheads. I had an encounter with one of them and I wanted to sock the guy. He was trying to take my cellphone, simply because I had it out. Wasn't filming or anything. He came up to me and told me to give him my phone. I told him to pound sand. He said if 'you continue to take photos I'll take it.' I told him I'm wasn't taking photos. I wasn't. Left a real negative vibe. All that aside, it was a fun day. Got to witness Zach Johnson's 163yd shot on the 18th into the hole. I was standing right by the green when it happened.
  18. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Gravity Picks
    I played 4 years of Varsity golf in high school. As a team we went somewhere like 120-5 in our 4 years.

I play Cobra, Callaway and Odyssey.
  19. basstotheface

basstotheface

Our high school team is way too good for me. A friend of mine, a freshman, shot 69 in the last golf meet.
  20. SoonerMatt

Disclosures:
    Got a new Ping 56 wedge from Santa and my chipping has been much more accurate than it was with my old Vokey. I'll probably phase out my Titleist wedges for Pings now! :eek: