1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Tall font Russian vs. Sovtek Green Muff

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CircleOfCrows, Apr 5, 2014.

1. CircleOfCrows

CircleOfCrows

They are meant to be the same thing... How do they Compare? I Have a couple of Electro Harmonix (Green sovtek) Big muffs's wondering how they go as a comparison- I have a pedal board of HEAVY Original Models that I am considering replicating with modern takes for more economy/lighter carry on.

Kind regards.

2. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

the Tall Font Russian sounds a lot better. It is more bassy, darker and capable of hotter distortion. You will find a million post if you do a search.
    The TFR is twice the price of the Green Muff so it's expensive and not a good value but if you are after tone and money is no object, that the way to go.

The Green Muff is a very nice pedal and I doubt anybody would hear the difference in the mix.

3. CircleOfCrows

CircleOfCrows

I have 2 of the old tall font print green russian muffs by EHX(one is a transition into this model) and they both sound different enough. I have done a search on the (Wren and Cuff)Tall Font Russian- there are few posts comparing it to what it is based on though - Most are its common contemporaries- Musket/ Grey Stache/ Modern nyc EHX /Bass muff etc. etc. Its small size/weight definitely appeal to me. As long as its in the right ballpark I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is. Just wanted an insight from you guys ;)

4. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

I think OP is referring to Russian green muffs. But everything is still true except the tfr price is about 2/3rds the price of a Russian green muff.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CircleOfCrows

CircleOfCrows

These:

Attached Files:

7. Laurent

Ah. Correct. I had assumed Wren and Cuff TFR.

Well the Sovtek TFR can be truly epic pedals. Their gain and level of bass/tonal range are amazing but they are often very expensive. Also there are lot of variation from pedal to pedal due to their age and the variability of the components. The Russians bought whatever was available and cheap to build these. If you have a couple of actual TFR I doubt you will like the current Bass Muff. You might want to look at a Stomp Under Foot green Russian. It matched tone for tone a very good sounding Sovtek Bubble Font I use to own. It does not quite match a TFR that being said and that's not the builder's intent.

I have tested the other modern pedal you list Musket/Grey Stache... and they don't quite match a good sounding TFR, nothing does IMHO. Your closet match would be the SUF Green Muff, again in my opinion.

8. Guinness20

Guinness20

Which of the tfr and it's competitors (musket/colossus/...) sounds best with an active bass?

9. CircleOfCrows

CircleOfCrows

For absolute clarity I am comparing the
    1)Wren and Cuff- Tall Font Russian
    2)'90s Electro Harmonix-Big Muff (Green Sovtek made vers. 7C(I think))

Kind regards.

10. CircleOfCrows

CircleOfCrows

On that note if there is one that comes highly recommended over the W&C TFR I am open to recommendations. It just seems to be talked about as the 'best' copy...

11. Laurent

OK. Now it's clear.

The W&C Tall Font Russian will not cut it against a good Electro Harmonix Sovtek Big Muff Tall Font. The Wren and Cuff is much lower gain and does not quite captures the tone range of the original. It's ok in the bass but not throughout the distortion range and tonal range.
    Nice sounding pedal (I owned two in the past) but it just does not measure to the originals.

Your best bet might be a Stomp Under Foot Green Russian but this last pedal will be more akin to the following generation of Russian Sovteks, the bubble font.

SUF makes a Civil War which is supposed to be similar to the Sovtek Tall Font (most people agree that the Civil War and Tall Font Sovtek are very close) but the SUF Civil War does not quite cut it. Again a great sounding pedal but not as larger than life than a Sovtek Tall Font.

In your position, I would start with a SUF Green Russian.

12. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

The W&C Box Of War is another one to consider. And if you fancy added blend and mid controls, the COG Grand Tarkin.

13. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

I've owned an original Sovtek and out of the clones out there, I've found the SUF Civil War to be the closest. Mind you, I've never tried the SUF Green Russian, but the Civil War is excellent!

14. jwb39

jwb39

If you're handy with soldering and wiring, you could always build a clone of the Sovtek muff. Personally, I had to mod my ggg-tuned muff to add more mids since I was getting lost in the mix.

15. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

So, I took a chance and bought the SUF Russian Green and all I can say is WOW!!! The low end is there, but it has more presence, gain, and a wider frequency range than the TFR. I liked the TFR when I had it, I just wished it had a bit more highs in it. Kudos to SUF, this one's a KEEPER!!!

16. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

mind sharing what mods you did? I've built a clone and am having trouble getting a good mid control on the tonestack.

I may just end up putting in a bypass.

17. jwb39

jwb39

I just replaced the tone stack capacitor, which is 0.0039uf, with a larger one. I couldn't remember what capacitor I put in there, but it almost has too much mids now. There's a better mod out there where you can add a mids control knob, or you could also use an on/off/on switch and piggy-back off the 0.0039, which will give you three mids settings. I plan on building a green russian clone and using the mid control knob.

18. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

I see, I had done that before but then I copied the supercollider tone circuit because I wanted a pot for the mids but this one really doesn't seem to do a lot. It uses a 50k pot and has a few extra resistors and I think two caps are changed. Going to try a different one that only changes one cap and uses a 22k pot.

I really just want the circuit in the bluebeard fuzz or fuzzrocious grey stache but can't find any info on what they use.