Tally ho! again mates

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Tull, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Tull

Tull

I Was wodering, what is the difference between different cab setups, i mean, what is the difference between getting a 410, or a 115, or for example a 112 Is there a difference only in volume or do they have different sounds/are they better in certain music genres/better working with different tones
  2. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    One mistake a lot of people make is equating size with tone..."need a big speaker for bass". You can take a bunch of speakers all the same size and they will all sound very different. Some smaller ones can be very bassy, some bigger ones pretty bright.

One thing a big speaker does is move more air for the same distance traveled as a smaller speaker. That equates to how loud the low frequencies will play. Would take roughly two 10's to play as loud as one 15 down there for example.

Not many hard and fast rules. Best to just forget about the cone size and just listen. Find something that sounds nice and gets loud enough for you.
  3. Tull

Tull

okay, thanks a lot will! Shame in my hometown i have only a small music shop, and the amount of bass stuff is rather thin
  4. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    One thing a smaller speaker does is spread the sound wider. The bigger the cone, the lower in frequency it will start to "beam". Meaning it puts it's middle and high frequencies out in a narrower beam in center and doesn't spread them as widely as the smaller speaker.

One would think 10's would be better to use than 15's for that, but, when you mount them in a square like you see in 410 cabs, they then act like one giant 20" speaker, and the 15 still has a better spread by comparison.

Rule of thumb is to stack the speakers in as close to a vertical line as one can in order to spread the sound more evenly about the room. Have better sound for more of the audience instead of a hotspot on center and muddier sound off to the sides.

For example, a pair of 210 cabs stacked on their sides to make a vertical column would have twice the horizontal dispersion as 410's mounted in a square.
  5. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

It's easy to generalize about cabs w/ certain speaker configurations, but it's difficult to do so w/ any accuracy.

4x10s are not necessarily more punchy than 2x12s, and 1x15s do not necessarily go deep. It matters (a lot!) how the specs of the exact type of speaker used match with the design of the cabinet.

FWIW, a suggestion: TalkBass gets a fair amount of traffic on some days, and individual threads can get lost. You might get more advice if the titles of your posts hinted at their topics.
  6. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Good suggestion, or we're going to end up with a lot of threads that start with "tally ho".:D
  7. Tull

Tull

Ahahahaha, i thought the Tally ho would be a good way to introduce me to the forum!